Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone can give me ideas as to where to get these for cheap? A lot of people have said the bullet style which I like but I don't really know where to get them.

Only motorcycle gear place i know of is Cyclegear but I don't know if they have them.

Also, is it really hard to wire them to replace the stock front turn signals? Because I broke mine when I dropped them and i've heard they can break the fairing, not to mention they are outdated.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
The most important thing about getting turn signals from the 500R is that you get the adapters for the front signals if you go candescent-type with stems. I would suggest cat eye/candescent with three leads for the front because of cost. You're going to find that most aftermarket signals are two lead; you can use those but you end up losing your riding lights and even though they aren't life savers, at least having the riding lights will make you a little bit more visible at night. I had to special order mine because no one seems to have three lead lights in stock; I think I paid about $25 for them.

When you say "bullet" do you mean flush mount signals? If you do, get ready to spend from $40 to $50; $40 will get you crappy dim signals and if you search around, you can find some really good bright LED ones for about $50. The thing about the flush mount is that they are a little more difficult to adapt to the 500R. Also, if you get LED replacements, be ready for turn signals that flash like they're on heroine unless you get a relay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not that knowledgeable out wiring and all that so please bare with me. I was wondering if I buy a new turn signal couldn't I just cut the wire from the new one, and my old one and solder them/electrical tape them together?

Is it really necessary for me to get a converter?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want it to look like the stock honda cbr f4i front turn signals, my friend has that and was wondering if I could install them on a 500

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Yes, you can just cut the wires and solder them or you can buy the connectors for the aftermarket signals and use them with the OEM wiring. I'm not sure what you mean by "converter" because you don't need any kind of power converter; I was just saying that if you go with LED signals (either front/rear--not both...won't work if you go LED both front and rear), get ready for super fast flashing signals.

I looked at some pics of the f4i and those signals still look big. As you found out, the OEM signals on the 500R are notorious for cracking the top fairing when the bike is dropped because they are so big. The f4i signals look just as big. I suggest something like the cat eyes that I mounted:

I found some old pictures that might help with adapter and wiring:

If you go with non-flushmounts, you will need the adapter like the one that's in this picture (the red circle w/arrow):

And here's the wiring (black/yellow = common ground; light blue = driving lights; green = left blinking/grey = right blinking):

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks a ton! Can't really see it that well but are your turn signals still attached to that black casing thing that extends out of the fairing?

I kind of want it to go without it, onto the fairing itself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thanks a ton! Can't really see it that well but are your turn signals still attached to that black casing thing that extends out of the fairing?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

No, the turn signals are all there own which is why I had to buy the adapters. The adapters filled the opening in the fairing so that the stem of the after market signals had a platform to mount on--no part of the OEM signal is there.

I know that you want to flushmount signals and I'd suggest that you get a good pair of LED signals that are really bright. The location of where they would mount isn't great in terms of visibility (which is why I suggest some type of signals with a stem) so you have to make sure that they are highly visible for safety (if not to avoid a ticket) reasons.

I know that these type of signals have been mounted on 500R's but it took some creativity:
K&S Flush Mounts

Seriously, I would just get a pair of cat eyes like the ones I got with the adapter and be done with it quickly/easily. Trust me on this: you won't even notice what type of signals you have when you're riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, i'll try to take a look at some of the cateyes, what is the exact part or description of the part? where did you get it? ebay?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i also needed a front turn signal and i bought these awesome signals from motorcycle-superstore.com but unfortunately i didn't buy the adapter so the signals were very weak. I ended up just buying a replacment lens for the one i needed for 7 bucks on bikebandit. Although it is stock, i was just concerned about getting my turn signal working

1 - 12 of 12 Posts