Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Ex500 and My front end seems to be dragging when i am riding. I am not sure what is causing it or how to fix it. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
DRAGGING

IF you still have a centerstand put it down and set back in the seat to get the front end off of the ground and see if when you push or pull the bars back and forth forward and backwards at the same time if your loose at the frame whre the bearings are for steering...you know whre the tree is...turn the bars full left and right...to see if ther eis nay drag...then find someone heavy to set on the bike seat and hold the bars straight. try twisting the wheel back and forth (while the guy on the bike resists your twisting) to check the forks and the bearings..bearings in booth the tree and in the front wheel...then with hour hands on foth forks push pullback and forth to see if you can feel any play....another thing to do is to make sure that the front wheel spins freely nad you feel no bearing grinding and that the wheel turns smoothly and without side to side play. Then have the person on hte seat sit up against the tank so that the rear of the bike is off the ground and se that your swingarm is not loose, wheel is not wobling...sort of the same thing as the front...What ever you find...let us know!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at it the other day and I was thinking the rotor was bent. I tightened the rotor as tight as I could and it still seemed to drag. I think it is something with the brakes now or maybe the forks are rotated slightly. I have to get new fork seals put in, maybe that will fix the problem or find it atleast.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Curious

I'm just curious if you had run through the items that I had listed or not. Getting fork seals put in will allow them to spring back into position if they were truely out...but I would have new progressive fork springs installed as they are better and then you could replace the oil and get the orings all at the same time...I'm really curious about front end dragging...I know of one other...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
bearings

Be sure that you also use a grease..white grease for your steering head where your handlebars revolve through the frame and the forks revolve... sometimes these bearing get dried and it makes steering not so easy making it feel like the front end is dragging...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts