Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my front tire and want to save some cash.How hard is it to get it off of a v2k classic.Once I loosen up the side bolts do I need to buy a monster alan wrench to pull the axle out. It looks like an alan bolt on both sides.If so what size do I need to get?:confused:

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Without looking at the bike, you will usually have two pinch bolts in the front, you need to loosen them up on one side that will free up one side of the axel so you can start unthreading it. I usually work off the right side (throttle side) of the bike.

Here is a trick for the "huge allen head bolt" If you have a craftsman ratchet set that came with the two spark plug sockets you can turn one of them around and the base will fit. insert a 3 inch extension through where the sparkplug would go and then you can attatch the ratchet.

Anyway, once you get that all loosen up, the axel will slide right out. Just don't forget to remove your calipers and fasten them out of the way so they are not banging around.

Are you going to change the tire yourself? if you are make sure you are extremely careful with the rotors and do not use them for leverage. You will end up bending them and then you will be forking out 350 to 400 bucks for a new one.

I actually change tires and balance tires out of my house. If you get in a bind get a hold of me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SilverBullet thank you very much.No I am going to take it to a shop I hate to say this but its a dealership.I am just getting it off the bike to try and save some $$$$. Next time I am going to a place called SUPER DAVE'S down towards Uniontown,but the bikes not inspected wright now.This summer I think the rear tire is going to be a darkside change.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Yeah too bad you don't live closer. Off the bike I do them for $15 per wheel, on the bike $30 per wheel. I get rid of the old tires as well at no cost due to my step brother working for a tire shop and they actually make money on old tires. So it is win / win. I buy all my tires from M&M Leather which ends up being 20% or more off retail. I usually send everyone there to buy the tires then bring it to me and I install them. Or if they give me money up front for the tires I'll order them and pick them up.

Only thing I will not touch is carbon fiber rims. Too delicate and I'm not replacing a $3500+ rim if something happends while trying to mount them.

All the smaller cycle shops closed up around here that I used to deal with the past couple years, so I started doing all my own work. Then my friends started asking me to do work on their bikes and then they tell people they know. I like working on them, plus I'm anal about stuff being done right so people trust me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is about an hour and a half from my house to the moneroville exit off the turnpike.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man but the sad part is I just bought a used 07 Ford F-250 SUPERDUTY 5.4 gas engine they average about 10 to 12 mpg it would cost a fortune to get there and back.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It almost makes me cry when go to get gas you know 38 gal tank come on summer.I look at it this way I can haul or pull anuthing I need to.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Once I loosen up the side bolts do I need to buy a monster alan wrench to pull the axle out.
I bought this. Expensive, but now I have for life.

Motion Pro Hex Axle tool - KneeDraggers.com

The dealership changed my first front tire. When I removed it to change my fender, that side bolt (with the hex hole) was so tight, I had to get my bigger step son to remove it. No excuse for the prior machanic to have tightened it that much. When I put the wheel back on, I followed the torque in the manual. Be sure to bounce, compress the front shocks are few times before you tighten the 2 bolts on the front of the fork. This insures your tire is squared up, or something like that.

Herb

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I bought a 22 mm Proto allen socket for my 1/2 drive breaker bar to remove the axle nut from my Nomad. I wish I knew about the back side of the spark plug socket, but I don't know that it would have taken the torque that was required to loosen that axle. Sampson must have tightened it at the factory. I think it's best to do everything possible on your bike...if you want it done right. Those dealers are not what they used to be.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
I bought a 22 mm Proto allen socket for my 1/2 drive breaker bar to remove the axle nut from my Nomad. I wish I knew about the back side of the spark plug socket, but I don't know that it would have taken the torque that was required to loosen that axle. Sampson must have tightened it at the factory. I think it's best to do everything possible on your bike...if you want it done right. Those dealers are not what they used to be.
The spark plug socket will take it trust me, It is solid. Mine was a ***** to break loose as well. Ended up using a cheater bar with it the first time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts