Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to remove the wheels to put some new rubber on, and I can't for the life of me get the front axle to loosen. One side is a 19mm nut, the other side is just a pinch bolt. I can't turn the nut without the axle spinning in the pinch on the other side, and even doing that takes a massive effort on my part... even with a pipe over the handle of the ratchet. I can't get the pinch bolt any tighter than it is.

I've soaked the nut with penetrating spray, several times... no change... but is it safe to use a bit of heat on it, or maybe one of those electric impact drivers (I don't own one so I'd have to go buy one)? Or should I just break down and take it to a shop (even though I don't really trust any shops near where I live).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya but I don't have anything that's small enough to fit through that hole that would also be strong enough to put that kind of force on it... I'd nearly kill myself when whatever I use snaps in half :lol: I could literally jump up and down on the pipe I was using without getting anywhere.

Doesn't matter now though, problem solved. I checked out Canadian Tire on the off chance they'd have an electric impact driver on sale... and they did!!! $49 ($149 regular price). It came with a case, 5 sockets and a few other bits too. It works awesome, the nut came off after about 10 seconds of hitting it. My main concern was if it was safe to use on a bike wheel or not. I'm sure it's fine though. Definitely makes things $49 easier, especially with the bike precariously perched on my cheap jack... plus now I have it to use on other stuff so I consider it a bargain. Thanks though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts