Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mule has been parked on a hillside for a about a month. Couldnt start it so I towed it to my shop. The driver side front wheel wont rotate, even in neutral. All other wheels rotate freely. I jumped it and it started but a heck of a rattle noise when idling and as soon as I try to put in gear the engine dies. Actually it doesn't want to shift into F or R. Any ideas to get me going greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Not sure which model Mule you have, but if you attempted to pull a four wheel drive rig with the four wheel drive engaged, the belt still attached, and a brake drum frozen to the shoes or a wheel or universal joint bearing locked up, you may have damaged the transmission.

These use dog style engagement gears and if pulled in gear or in four wheel drive with the torque converter belt still installed it is pretty easy to snap one or more of the dogs off one or more of the gear sets.

I would recommend you take a look at the parts diagrams on Kawasaki.com to get an idea of the construction of the brakes, the torque converter, the mechanism for routing power to the front axle (if four wheel drive), and the transmission and shifting linkage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Acorns a plenty

Turns out the clackity clack was from the drive belt housing area. Opened it up and if was full of about two shovels of acorns and seat foam! Seems they climbed in the vent snorkel and began saving the acorns for another day. Hellava noise I thought the mule was toast. So now I'm putting 1/4 hardware screen inside the snorkel. The front wheel just needed a little massage to get going. All is well and back to work. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
104 Posts
chorizo520

Glad to hear your problem was an easy solve and your Mule is up and running again. I surely don't see how I got by without one for so many years. Really enjoying my Mule although only been owning it for about 5 months, I feel the machine will be around for many, many years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.