Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where the heck do you find a good oil filter for a Ninja 500R? I found a Fram at Wal-mart, of all places, but am leery of that brand. I have always used Mobil1 oil in my truck with their filter. What do you all run?

·
Registered
191 Posts
your local bike dealer will have them. im sure beartooth kawasaki((((look up)))) will have them. I have been leery of frams on bikes, ive seen a few come apart so I dont touch the things. On my cars they are fine though.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Get it from the dealer, or try to pick up a K&N aftermarket filter ( www.bikebandit.com ) or look up 'hiflofiltro' The same company that makes the OEM filters make these, they are identical to the kawi brand filters, just half the cost.

·
Registered
191 Posts
yes it does. oil is always moving when your bike is running, unless you use a fram filter :wink: They may be better now but i head a few years back of them having problems with their glue inside the filter and the filter actually coming apart and clogging oil system. Now theoretically if there was a spike like these they have an internal release, assuming the oil pressure gets there. Now it may not matter to you but for the same price ill go with a company that hasnt had problems over one that has, i always use the kawasaki filters. which arent made but kaw but that doesnt matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing you could try is to get the fram part number and then cross reference it with filter numbers at parts stores. Carquest uses a wix filter which works prety well. Or you could have them order a k&n. places like autozone will also stock many different types of filters. Just have them cross referece the fram filter number for you and then you will have the numbers for a varitey of filters.

·
Registered
456 Posts
jonesie619 said:
With the frequency of oil changes, does one brand over another make that much of a difference?
I think frequent changes make up for a lower quality filter or oil. That is, of course, assuming you don't have a catastrophic filtration failure. I change my oil and filter every 3,000 miles.

I've been using Fram filters ever since Consumer Reports recommended them back in the 1980's. I think they are more cheaply made than many other brands, so I may switch one of these days. I'm doing some research.
Curt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts