Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've got the spreadsheet started measuring mileage on the Z and I'm a little dismayed. From the begninng of this year to 12/3 my 500R was averaging 46.21 mpg. After two fill-ups the Z yielded 28.71 and 30.81 mpg...please tell me that the mileage will get better once the bike is broken-in. Is this typical mileage for a Z? Don't get me wrong, the "fun factor" more than compensates for the lower mileage, I just didn't expect to get only 30 mpg.

Also, the generic spec's that you see for new motorocycles in dealership web-sites shows that the '08 Z has a 4.9 gallon tank (the '08 and '07 are the same)...I'm calling Kawi out on this because I was only able to get 3.7 gallons in this morning when I saw no fuel swishing at the bottom of the tank (is it me, or does the low fuel warning light really take it to the limit?). What's up with that? Has anyone been able to get close to five gallons in their Z1000 tank?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your choke lever.Up is off. I left my choke on for 100 miles on my Z750 and the gas milage dropped from 43 to 34 mpg. Also the fuel guage starts flashing with a full gallon left in the tank.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Okay, I've got the spreadsheet started measuring mileage on the Z and I'm a little dismayed. From the begninng of this year to 12/3 my 500R was averaging 46.21 mpg. After two fill-ups the Z yielded 28.71 and 30.81 mpg...please tell me that the mileage will get better once the bike is broken-in. Is this typical mileage for a Z? Don't get me wrong, the "fun factor" more than compensates for the lower mileage, I just didn't expect to get only 30 mpg.

Also, the generic spec's that you see for new motorocycles in dealership web-sites shows that the '08 Z has a 4.9 gallon tank (the '08 and '07 are the same)...I'm calling Kawi out on this because I was only able to get 3.7 gallons in this morning when I saw no fuel swishing at the bottom of the tank (is it me, or does the low fuel warning light really take it to the limit?). What's up with that? Has anyone been able to get close to five gallons in their Z1000 tank?

Thanks!

Sorry dude but you are on a big bike now...I get no more than 32mpg...As for the tank, I never got the alleged 4.5 in any bike I had...All I know is I get 120+ miles per tank.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry dude but you are on a big bike now...I get no more than 32mpg...As for the tank, I never got the alleged 4.5 in any bike I had...All I know is I get 120+ miles per tank.
D'oh! Okay, I can deal with that...I just won't tell my wife. Thanks for the info. It's a good thing that their's a fuel gauge on this bike, the 500R had a trip meter next to the odometer which I reset at fuelings--I'd have to hit the Mode button on this bike.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your choke lever.Up is off. I left my choke on for 100 miles on my Z750 and the gas milage dropped from 43 to 34 mpg. Also the fuel guage starts flashing with a full gallon left in the tank.
Thanks but the tech who walked me around the bike said that there's an automatic choke on the bike. What you said about the warning light makes sense though.

·
Registered
905 Posts
You might be onto something... I would confer with other riders owning your bike. Is there a Z1000 forum somewhere? Found this little blurb as part of a review:

One issue we'll take up with Kawasaki is the factory's claim of a 4.8-gallon fuel capacity. Twice we ran out of gas during our two years with the big Zed, and twice we were able to squeeze in only 4.1 gallons of fuel. On a related note, the Z's fuel mileage ranged from 30-42 mpg, averaging just over 35 mpg. Project Z1000 - Final Installment - MotorcycleUSA.com
I does look like you're on the lower end of the fuel mileage for that bike... how are you working that throttle? ;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Does the Cali bike have a smaller tank? For some reason I remember reading the underside of some cali bikes are higher up to allow enough room for emissions equipment.

Dunno if there's any truth to it.

·
devil in god's country
11,098 Posts
that could be true.
i remember many of the forum members at riderforums(getting the hint eidian??)mentioning that there was a method of removing the extra stuff under the tank.

and yes!!!!
if i am luck i will get about 140 miles on a tank if i am easy on the throttle.
i have never been able to put in any more than 4 gallons,warning light flashing and i start sweating.

Does the Cali bike have a smaller tank? For some reason I remember reading the underside of some cali bikes are higher up to allow enough room for emissions equipment.

Dunno if there's any truth to it.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Yeah, the gas tanks in Cali may be different because what I see other riders getting on their 10R kills me. 120 mpg all the time...Without fail. I do throttle hard, I am not light, it is windy where I am, and I carry a backpack full of change of clothes, laptop, and sometimes shoes (I keep spares at work). All I know is I enjoy riding it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts