Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so this has been a bit of a project getting this bike to run. I purchased it a few weeks ago and would like to get a ride in before there's snow on the ground, but since it just started snowing as I type my chances are growing rather slim.

The bike had been sitting for 2+ years when I bought it, so first up was and oil change, and plugs/wires. a little fresh gas and some starter fluid and it was running, wow that was easy I thought. now by running, i mean it ran, but not smoothly, and it wouldn't idle. I could hold the throttle and keep the engine running, again roughly, at 1000rpm, but If i let the throttle go instant stall.

So i figured the idle passages (needle) was all gummed up, and proceeded to take the carbs off, make a little love to them with cleaning fluid, and then reinstall. fist off old fuel smells absolutely horrible, and second some of my passages were so plugged i couldn't see light through the jets. 1 can of carb cleaner, 6 thousand q-tips and a hurricane of compressed air and I was all set.

all back together I plug in the fuel line and let her rip. I got a no start, and then fuel was shooting out of the carbs (no air filters) and spilling all over the place. So I drained the bike's fuel and came right here, I'm guessing my next step is to look at float levels and the like but have never done that before, infact I've never worked on anything that wasn't diesel and fuel injected.

So my questions are:

1) Do you think i am correct in relating this fuel everywhere problem to an improper (high) float level?

2) Are there any other conditions that can cause this?

3) Is there any special trick on how to adjust the float level or do the carbs have to come off again?

4) Is there any chance that my engine is now filled with fuel and warrants me pulling plugs to vac out the fuel and doing another oil change?

I appreciate all of your help and eagerly await your response.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also add yes I tried the idle speed adjustment knob, and got nowhere, that rubber hose with wire thing is falling apart. I also tried to grab the end with needle nose pliers and it appears to be frozen.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok one more thing, it's hard to help if you don't know what bike it is...

1984 Kawasaki Ninja GPZ900

sorry

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of good information here... and the folks are pretty nice too :smile:

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question as I'm no grease monkey or handy man when it comes to engines.

However I had to read your thread coz the title was just hillarious, in a doomsday sort of way :lol:

I'm sure someone will chip in with the answers you are looking for - you might also want to try repeat your thread in "The Mechanics Corner" section of this forum :smile:

Good luck getting your plumbing back together.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Gas flooding as you describe can only mean the floats in the carb are not doing their job. You need to check the needles and seats and also make sure the floats move freely.

make sure you take the tops off and remove the pistons and diaphragms before spraying anything (including compressed air) into the carbs.

After removing those, get a can of carb cleaner or brake cleaner spray and start hosing the passages in the carb and fuel bowl.

Float level adjustment is done using a "clear tube" that us stuck into the drain hole in the bottom of the bowl. The tube is held against the side of the bowl and the fuel level is observed. It's a PITA, you have to check it, remove the bowl (bend the little foot) an recheck until you get it just right.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Dmax, just sent you a PM. Can't help with your current problem, but 2 weeks ago I picked up an '85 GPZ 900r project bike that's been sitting for 2 years also. I bet I'll run into similar issues. Let's keep the communication going on what we find and learn.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good deal, Ive learned a lot about this bike, and am very excited to get it running. unlike many of these posts i'll be sure to document my findings all the way through.

I called a local cycle shop and they said 2 things, to check the float seals and float level. I remember checking the seals which were all good and threw some seal dressing on them to make sure they stay soft. That may be the problem right there. so it looks like i'll be taking the carbs out and apart again and cleaning all of the seals and surfaces. he also recommended using a micro finishing compound on a q-tip to polish the bore. sadly I have some leftover from my boat project (i love projects) and will be working on that tonight.

I don't have a float gage, I'm wondering if I can just use a tube and ruler?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok before I dive into the float measurement I talked to a friend of mine who has worked on motorcycles, and owns a few, he said to give it hell and try to get it started, once started it will work itself out.

so since that's a hell of a lot easier i gave it a little starting fluid an got her running... really running. she idles at about 5000rpm with the idle screw backed off so far it's not even touching the throttle plate. it also runs like crap, a lot of popping and cracking noises (mostly exhaust). I'm assuming that its running really rich from overly flooded floats.

So i guess it's back to float level measurement..

another question Do I measure the float height as installed on the bike?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check the float level, but also check your diaphragms for holes or rips. If you didn't remove them when you cleaned the carbs there is a very large chance they've expanded, or have just been abused over time... unfortunately they're not cheap at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice PETC, I saw you have an MR-2, I Sold my Fiero a while back, and miss the mid engined layout o so much... oh well thats a story for another day.

Yea when I cleaned them out i looked over all the diaphragms, nothing torn,dry, broken ect. I did drop a little seal dressing on the seals before reassembly. that may have been my problem all along. eh either way I have to take a look. I'm still looking for any advice regarding the orientation of the assembly when I do the float check. I'm assuming I have to do it Installed on the bike. oh what a joy that will be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok this isn't working. I checked and adjusted the float level, now it idles at a normal speed but still roughly. (Flats were about 1/2in over the seam). but now if I give it any throttle it chokes out. I'm lost, and bidding on those rebuilt ones on e-bay... the easy way out.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
check the boots from the carb to the motor for cracks. if you get it running again you can spray carb cleaner on them and listen for the rpm change.

the cleaner and compressed air, where did you spray them? if you took the jets out and only sprayed them you only did half the job. the passageways in the carbs will need the same treatment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I cleaned all the passages and such. I think my next move is to make sure my float height is dead on by building a small jig to hold the carbs level... also if i'm not mistaken the float height should be 17mm? it says so in this manual I downloaded, but I'm just checking to make sure it's correct.

I didn't win the carbs on e-bay so it's back to the hard route.

I'm still hoping to get this bike on the road before winter... but the longer this draws out the less likely it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a ring? I noticed a depression mark were the rubber tip seems to hit the seat. Please tell me this is as simple as a rebuild kit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never mind I picked up a set of 4 K&L Lower Carb Rebuild Kits on ebay. Hopefully that will do the trick. I'm also fixing the fuel tank (rust leading to leaking)... this is becoming quite the project.

So while I have the Carbs off yet again is there any benefit to polishing the throttle bore and air inlet? I've done this on FI Throttle bodies and have some good results at high RPM, which was never 11K so I'm guessing this would be worthwhile, or maybe just an excuse to "enjoy" having the carbs off again. What do ya'll think?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.