Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I currently have a 2002 Vulcan Meanstreak, which I have owned for over 10 years now. It has 16,000 miles on it. I rode very little in the last few years but It has been stored in a heated garage in the last 3 years. Earlier, I put in a new battery and took it out for maybe 10 miles and everything was fine. After about a week I took it out for a longer ride. The low fuel light was starting to barely come on. I wanted to fill it with ethanol free premium gas. At the entrance of the gas station it stalled. I was surprised because I knew when the low fuel light comes on I have at least a gallon left. Anyway I started the bike and filled it up with ethanol free premium fuel and Startron fuel stabilizer (I hardly could get 3 gallons in the tank, which means I wasn't running dry) My ride back was an adventure! My engine started to sputter at low rpms and really became a handful to ride. The throttle response was gone and it would jerk untill finally it took off. I was able to ride it back (10 miles) but I had to start it like 5-10 times. Called a friend, who knows a lot about car engines, he suggested to add "heet". I added about 20-25% of the bottle (wasn't sure if it was ok to add the whole bottle as it meant for car tanks). I decided to ride it around to see if that will fix it. It got better but the problem it still there. When the engine jerks and stalls, the low fuel light, the oil light and the FI light comes on momentarily. The FI light didn't stay on as far as I know. When the engine stalls, it seems that if I waited longer before I started it, It will start easier and has a better chance of riding a couple of miles with no issue. When it was doing this I could also hear knocks in the engine. And the exhaust smells rich. The bike also has a Cobra FI2000 module next to the battery, not sure what is really does or if it might be the problem? BTW, before this year I never used ethanol free gas but I always added a fuel stabilizer over the winter.
Could it be as simple as water in the system? Could my injectors be bad or may I have another issue? Any help would be greatly welcome. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
First thing I would do is check the Fi2000 has the Black ground connection (Small Black wire from the unit with a ring terminal on the end) still connected to ground (Usually on the Earth terminal of the Battery)
If it is then I would disconnect the Fi2000 completely and see how she runs, To do this you will need to disconnect the unit and reconnect any plugs that have been displaced removing the unit.
I can't comment of Ethanol free fuel and what effect it would have on your Bike but I suspect nothing adverse imho.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts