Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 nomad,recently my fuel injection light came on while running at highway speed when i came to a stop the engine would not idle.performance seems okay.I have taken the battery cable off and reset computer ,the light will stay of for about ten miles and then comes right back on.
purchased bike new in 02 and installed a set of V&H pipes I had around fourteen thousand miles on bike when problem started.Also removed smog cotro; when bike was new .
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,as my local dealer just doesnt have a clue as to my problem :?:

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
nomad

wish i had some ideas for you. i have 8200 on my nomad with pipes, intake, and power commander and have not had any problems with it. have you tried running some fuel injection cleaner or even dry gas through it ? could be something simple like a clogged injector or water in the fuel maybe. good luck.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
When the DFI light comes on, that means there is a fault in the fuel system. You need to troubleshoot by running the self-diagnostic procedure. To do so, do the following:

1. Make sure the ignition switch is OFF.
2. Pull out the ECU and connect terminal #37 to the negative terminal on the battery using a piece of wire.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
4. The FI indicator light will then display the fault code by flashing a series of blinks. Each fault will be displayed three times before the next fault. The coding goes like *blink*pause 1 second, then *blink*blink*. Such a series of blinks indicate code is #12.
5. The codes that may be displayed are: 11-throttle sensor malfunction; 12-vacuum sensor malfunction; 13-inlet air temp sensor malfunction; 14-water temp sensor malfunction; 15-atmospheric pressure sensor malfunction; 21- pickup coil #1 malfunction; 22-pickup coil #2 malfunction; 31-vehicle down sensor malfunction; 41-injector #1 malfunction; 42-injector #2 malfunction; 45-fuel pump malfunction; 51-ignition coil #1 primary winding malfunction; 52- ignition coil #2 primary winding malfunction

Most of these faults relate to a short or open in the wiring or in the sensor.

Good luck,
T-man

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i put your reply in FAQ for other nomad owners T if that's ok 8)

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
you need a new dealer !!! the dumba$$ should have been able to do the exact test above and take care of it for you. :roll:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
No problem, bikeaholic...

Tim...you should be able to take this procedure to your "dealer" and educate him. Although, I would also search for a new mechanic if a supposedly "authorized" Kaw dealer couldn't figure this out!!

The only difficulty is figuring out the ECU terminal #37. I can send a diagram where it is if you need it.

T-man

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel light

please send me the diagram,I,m in the automotive electrical repair business and this info will go a long way as to fix my problem
as for finding another dealer,I didnt purchase my bike from my local dealer and he is still miffed about it and gives me the run around any time i,m in his shop

Thanks in advance
TimR
[email protected]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

way to go #97 nextel points champ
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Road captain--Scrc-Wilderness Road #398

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Tim:

Diagram sent to your email; let me know what you find. BUT, if you're bike is in warranty, I would look for a nearby dealer to check it out. You paid good money for the warranty and you deserve service. I would call Kaw

More than kind of crappy that your Kaw dealer is stiffing you. I wouldn't buy a thing from him after that treatment. That is "old school" reaction; I did not buy from my dealer either, but when I told him why (better price in neighboring state), he just asked that I buy accessories from him. He has treated me well since with discounts on accessories and changed my tires for me. I guess he realizes I will likely buy another bike and he wants to be in the running.

T-man

1 - 8 of 8 Posts