Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Finally got my Ninja!!
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had my share of let downs today. I had come across two great bikes, a 2000 Kawa ninja zx6r and a 2000 suzuki gsxr 6r both for 3K. But because I'm looking for a fuel injected bike (since when the winter comes I want to be able to get up and go cause it rarely snows here and I will be buying some winter pants this year) i dont want to have to wait for it to warm up so I can go.

Well my let down, I'm looking all over the place for information on the zx6r and ended up calling a dealership just to be sure about the bike, as the guy who was selling the bike didn't know (he was selling it for a friend who was out of town). Well the dealership said they didn't start making fuel injected zx6r's until like 04-05 time.

So did i just screw myself out of a great deal tonight (cause i sure could have had that beauty of a beast parked outside next to my 250 hours ago)?

Or what if any can i be filled in on as far as what bikes were made into fuel injection bikes and what years. Or shall I say, what do i need to look for, when looking up information on the bikes. Cause i keep seeing in-line four motor, or 4 cylinders.

I'm still learning the parts of the bikes. I love riding my 250 around, its starting to get warm, and im ready to move up after a year on my 250. I rode a good bit of the winter months, only these last two months did i rarely ride, but when i could (like Christmas day... lawd 70 degree weather felt great blasting down the road) so it was like every other two weeks i was riding at least twice a week.

So help me out fellow bikers... cause i need the key words that i should be looking for.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
It was experimented with as early at the late 1980s on some KZ1000's or KZ1100's.

It didn't start getting serious until '97-'99

I believe the 1999 Vulcan Drifter 1500 was the first EFI cruiser.
EFI was not available on the other 1500s for another couple of years, and it was still optional until '03 or '04.

First EFI dirtbike was 2006... Suzuki.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
You're also forgetting the GPZ1100 I think where Kawi experimented with EFI, as well as the GPZ750 turbo.

I know Suzuki was REALLY ahead of the game in the late 90's on the SRAD's fuel injection, which was for the time, pretty good I think. if I could, I'd integrate that stuff onto my ZX just to have no carbs to mess with again.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Moto Guzzi was actually putting fuel injection on bikes either just before, or just after WWII. I'd have to pull a book out to be sure.
I think the first Kawi was the Z1-R, was it not? Frankly, I don't get the hullabaloo about injection. Carburetor technology is quite good, and injectors are 'spensive to replace. Just ask my roomie. ;)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Frankly, I don't get the hullabaloo about injection. Carburetor technology is quite good, and injectors are 'spensive to replace. Just ask my roomie. ;)
Ever owned a modern EFI bike?

No problem with cold starts.
No problem with the mixture going too fat at high elevations. Sure, you're down on power, but with the correct mixture you aren't down THAT much and your gas mileage can be 10-20mpg higher than at sea level (yes, I'm happy to get 35 here in SoCal, and I got 55 in the Utah mountains above 8,000ft).
Drop in a PowerCommander and instead of having 3 jets, you have adjustment points every 10% throttle and every 1,000rpm.
No petcock, so no need to futz with switching to reserve... when the low fuel light comes on, stop at the next gas station.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Another high point for FI, and this is a HUGE point in it's favor. No more cleaning carbs bullcrap. just run some seafoam in it and you're done.

its VERY unusual for fuel injectors to fail too. fuel pressure regulators, not so much but yeah.

The best part is, FI will just fire right up and BAM you're running stable at an idle.

carbs, you gotta clean, jet for exhaust/intake mods, elevation changes, synch constantly, adjust all the **** time. not worth it over FI in my book. just not worth it.

G

·
So help me out fellow bikers... cause i need the key words that i should be looking for.

You don't need to be convinced of the vitrues of fuel injection. You're already looking for it. The problem is knowing if the bikes you are finding for sale are equiped with it. You can find the specs for most bikes with google. Look for Electroinc Fuel Injection (EFI), FI, "throttle bodies," Digital Fuel Injection, and so on.
For example, here is the entry for the 2009 Kawasaki 650R: "Digital fuel injection with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies." And here is the entry for the 2009 500R: "Keihin CVK34 x 2." That's a popular carb BTW. On the 500 you can actually see the carbs attached to the backside of the twin cylinders. They might be tougher to spot on other fully fared bikes, but go to a local dealer and ask them to point out the carburators on one of the small crusiers or standards. If you don't feel too silly asking, have them point out all the basic components on a simple bike. It will really help for the next time you're looking at a used bike for sale. Cheers, DC

·
Finally got my Ninja!!
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys. i went to a bike show tonight and sat on a TON of bikes. Oh my gawd I'm sooooo in love now with the ZX6R now. Even more than the 650 that i wanted. So i learned that most bikes I can half foot, long as the seat height is about 32, anything more than that, i'm screwed.

So yeah, I keep looking for those key words about Fuel Injection. I most def want it for the easy starts. I don't want to have to bother with cleaning the carbs or adjusting them. For all the reasons Rich listed is why I want to get a fuel injected bike.

But I'm bout to put up a post with the pictures I took at the Bike show tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.