Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the UK and our local TV station did an article on rising fuel prices. They have found the highest price in the region and I decided to do a few calculations so here goes.

....Wait for it......

For regular unleaded how about £1.07 a liter or to put it simpler £4.05 a gallon(US).
At today's exchange rate of about 2.02 USD to the Pound that makes it about $8.15 a Gallon to you !! so put it in context.
Lets say you have A new Ford Explorer SUV and you needed to fill it up.
It has a capacity of 22.5 Gallons(US) it would cost you a crazy $183 in the UK to do this :eek: .
How is that for a high fuel cost.

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Holy crap!!!! I thought gas prices were bad here. I would have to move somewhere warm year around and buy his and hers scooters:biggrin:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yea, I know fuel prices are lower here than they are in most other countries. I saw a study of other products and how they compair in price, I think Visine rated the highest at around $28/gal. It has been a while since I've seen that though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I know fuel prices are lower here than they are in most other countries. I saw a study of other products and how they compair in price, I think Visine rated the highest at around $28/gal. It has been a while since I've seen that though.
Sorry M8 but I have no idea what "Visine" if you could shed some light on it for me.? Does it go in the fuel tank :lol:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just did a quick search on the web and found a liquid which cost
$38,858,507.46 per gallon

If you want to see what it is check the link out for other stuff as well !!
The Price of a Gallon: 47 liquids compared

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
Scorpion venom is great stuff - works much better than SeaFoam. And at that price it should!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Scorpion Venom runs a little bit higher than a gallon of gas. And I sure wouldn't be the one to collect it!!

Visine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A bottle of Visine OriginalVisine is a brand of eye drops produced by Johnson & Johnson.
Visine Original
The active ingredients in the original Visine formulation are potassium chloride and tetrahydrozoline hydrochloride which is a vasoconstrictor, and therefore constricts the eye's superficial blood vessels to "get the red out", as claimed in Johnson & Johnson's advertising

·
Registered
394 Posts
My round trip to work is 80 km here in the States. What is yours there in the UK?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My round trip to work is 80 km here in the States. What is yours there in the UK?
I am one of the lucky ones, I work from home. but many people I know spend over $120 on gas for a weekly commute.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
At today's exchange rate of about 2.02 USD to the Pound that makes it about $8.15 a Gallon to you !! so put it in context.
Little more context though....

Our fuel taxes are in the ballpark of $0.36/gallon, plus an average of about 6-7% sales tax, which would be another $0.21 or so on a $3 gallon.

You guys need to have a "tea party" like we did a couple hundred years ago ;)

·
Ride Naked ..
2,607 Posts
fuel is way to expensive world wide , here in OZ this morning standard 91 unleaded was @ $1.43 AUD per litre & high octane 98 premium unleaded is @ $ 1.54 AUD per litre . this is a joke , were in the fark are these price's comimg from :confused: smell's awfully like "Greed" to me .. :mad:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
smell's awfully like "Greed" to me .. :mad:
Supply and demand.

Those in control of the supply aren't producing any more, and China and India are demanding more.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Little more context though....

Our fuel taxes are in the ballpark of $0.36/gallon, plus an average of about 6-7% sales tax, which would be another $0.21 or so on a $3 gallon.

You guys need to have a "tea party" like we did a couple hundred years ago ;)
There are going to be fuel protests in the UK very soon from large hauliers. It is not so much the cost of the fuel it is the huge amount in tax and duty we pay on it. About 70% of the cost of fule goes on tax, yes that is right 70%. Due to the worldwide increase in fuel per barrel the government are reaping a huge increase in tax on the backbone of the fuel rise.
All the hauliers want is a small decrease in the % of tax to help reduce the overall price, afterall the government will be only loosing a little amount of the INCREASE they have made due to the price rise.

Last time there were blockades at fuel distribution centers, and rolling road blocks. it was so effective it almost brought the UK to a standstill as we could not get any fuel !!

You may not be interested (boring) but here is an interesting link to our fuel
cost
Fuel Tax - PetrolPrices.com

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Supply and demand.

Those in control of the supply aren't producing any more, and China and India are demanding more.
Correct, the oil producers also at times restrict supply to keep the price high. They could easly produce more but decide not to. The main problem in the UK is the 70% tax on fuel :mad:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I did this comparison about 15 years ago when visiting in Germany. At the time gas at home was about $1US/gal and $1.6DM/l in Germany. WOW what a difference!

When I took out the taxes and did an exchange rate conversion gas was about $0.80US/gal in both. About $0.30US cheaper then bottled water! That's right would you pay more for bottled water then for gas, if the government kept their hands out of it.

A lot of countries tax gasoline heavily to keep their dependance on foreign oil low.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Forgot to put this at the bottom..

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time
with the blood of patriots & tyrants!"

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
UK is the 70% tax on fuel :mad:
Bingo.
So $8/gallon minus the Queen's cut is really $2.40/gallon, add in what the US gets in taxes and you're right about the same level that we are if your government had a "reasonable" tax rate on your fuel.

Yup... time for a tea party.

A couple of years ago, truckers tried a protest by blocking traffic on various freeways in LA.
Of course, all they did was upset the citizens, had no impact on ANYONE who actually has any control, probably generated a lot of irate phone calls to their companies and politicians (who can't do anything)... and I would imagine that there were a few road rage incidents.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts