Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Fuel Problems, Again

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ZX-2R 
#1 ·
Ok my 87 mojave I bought is really starting to piss me off. Here's my current problem. The bike will start out and idle fine. Then you'll run it up at 1/2 to full throttle for about a mile then the fuel will just stop. The bike still idles but when you hit the throttle it doesn't do anything. Then if you hold the throttle wide open for 20-40 seconds the fuel will come right back and act normal for about 10 minutes then do the same thing again. I've checked the petcock and fuel filter and there isn't any blockage. Does anyone know what the problem could be????

#4 ·
CUTTING OUT

Both of the replies are valid! when it quits let go of the throttle and see if it physiclly rotates back or is just setting there...the carb situation is the most likely culprit...seems that at the beginning of each season...you will see the exact situation. Lube the throttle cables, get teh carbs cleaned, BUT TOSS your fuel and add a fresh tank of 91 Octane fuel. STA-BIL or not, get fresh gas from a first rate gas station, not a cut-rate station. You may also want to change your plugs, and keep them for later use...Hair-line cracks and even carbon way up inside the plug can cause some real crazy problems just like this. Once you get these things done let us know what you found...

#5 ·
Speaking of plugs. I changed mine today outa boredom and thinking " it won't help but won't hurt either " Well, about half of my problems are solved in one swipe. Bike was DEAD hard to start crank crank crank crank. nothing or sometimes it takes off. 4 New plugs and it is one touch starting now.
Looked at old plugs and I don't see anything really wrong other than slight rich sootyness as it hasn't run off choke much since I have had it. um 3 weeks

Tomorrow I am taking out on the back roads and open her up some.....

So with an attitude of "can't help but won't hurt " has changed my whole weekend.
Gonna have to get some pics of it the way it is now as I plan on getting it painted after I get the mechanicals done and then the metals cleaned up.

Unrelated mostly but a plug can't hurt ( unless it's compleatly wrong one )

#7 ·
FUEL PROBLEM

Empty the gas into the mower, then slosh out the tank, or remove the petcock to see if your filter screen is clogged. If you filter screen is clogged you get the same problem...If you do have to remove or replace it I'd consider runnning a great, not just a good, gas filter on it and not a plastic one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.