Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1995 voyager, when starting, fuel pump turns on when starter button is pushed and the engine starts running, how ever it does not shut off and fuel starts running out the hose on the bottom of the carburetor. I disconnected every relay i could find but none affected voltage at the plug. Something i thought was weird when testing the plug on the motorcycle side with the bike running when i touch the one prong with voltmeter lead the engine bogs down and starts running really rough. This is a four wire fuel pump. Any suggestions on things to check or try would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Sounds like the feed when you push the start button is not timing out, Unfortunately I don,t have a Manual for that Bike but you need to identify that circuit and see which component it originates from, I would take a guess at the Igniter having a timer on the board.
iirc the run side is from Ignition Coil 1&4

Update:-
Just found this Diagram lurking on my Laptop which would suggest the Timer function is carried out within the Pump.
There also appears an absence of a Relay..
( Can you say Appears and Absence in the same sentence )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, i was wondering about the fuel pump because its a four wire pump. I have the service manual but it gives you nothing about any relays for the pump. With your info about coil 1&4 there is one wire which when you start the bike volts go up and stay there could this be coming from coil 1&4 some how? And can you think of an answer to the other part where when i test the one wire it bogs down and runs rough till i remove the test lead. Thanks for your previous reply, if i figure it out i will let you know

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will list it not running ignition on then running. Red wire 12v constant. Black 0.03and 10.8, black with yellow 0.04 and 0.22 and black with white .02 and .77. As for running rough i found a loose ground wire and now it no longer has that issue of bogging down and running ruff.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Them readings are odd as it appears you only have 1 side of the pump completing a circuit when running.
When you say Ignition on is that pushing the start button as well ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, its just turning the key to the on position, not pushing the start button and then with the bike actually running

1 - 9 of 9 Posts