Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 83 KZ 550 LTD C4.

I just finished resealing the tank with POR 15. The instructions say to use duct tape to cover the holes in order to coat the inside. Well, I must have missed something, because when I removed the duct tape, large sections of paint came off with it.

I didn't get too upset. The previous owner had changed the tank and side covers to red and I was considering changing it back to black so it would be stock. They did a pretty good job with the filler because I couldn't tell it had been done.

I have used a chemical stripper to remove the paint. The section where the filler is won't let go of the paint, as you can see in the pics.

The top I am assuming is a dent in the tank. The sides however look as though they had the Kawasaki logo emblems.

1. Will I have to remove the filler down to bare metal before I can paint again since I used stripper?

2. If I were to replace the side emblems, will reestablishing the holes to hold them ruin the interior seal?

3. Anyone have a perfect condition tank for this bike real cheap? :smile:

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Could you take fine grit sand paper and take the primer off? Just a thought. Mine was minus the emblems, too, so I can't help there, either. Would like to put some on mine, so hopefully someone answers your questions.

BTW, it's looking good. I sanded mine last spring, but went with bedliner instead of paint! Let us know how it goes, it's fun to watch someone go thru the same process I'm going thru.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Wouldn't trust the plastic not to blister after paint ,since it got soaked in stripper.
Get the plastic out. Take it to one of the paintless dent removal places or redo the plastic.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't trust the plastic not to blister after paint ,since it got soaked in stripper.
Get the plastic out. Take it to one of the paintless dent removal places or redo the plastic.
I had a feeling that is what it would come to. Is there an easy way to take the plastic/filler off? Perhaps some kind of solvent that will make it easy to remove?

Thanks for the response.
Mike

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
1. Will I have to remove the filler down to bare metal before I can paint again since I used stripper?
I used to do body work: it's always advisable to strip out all old filler becauyse you don't know if it's good quality, and even the best Bondo will start cracking eventually from heating and cooling.

2. If I were to replace the side emblems, will reestablishing the holes to hold them ruin the interior seal?
On mine, there is a bar with threaded holes welded on the outside of the tank. You don't ever want to drill holes in the tank itself.

3. Anyone have a perfect condition tank for this bike real cheap? :smile:

Thanks,
Mike
Nope, the ones I see on ebay are beat up and usually over priced.

·
Registered
598 Posts
A stiff wire wheel will remove filler, too.
The badge bar is spot welded to tank.
The bar is tapped on each end for the badge screws.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, since that bar is no longer there, I guess I will have to fill in the spots for them along with whatever resides under that patch of filler on top.

I was struggling with myself over getting a tank on eBay. It ended this afternoon and I let it go. Will probably regret it. Hopefully there will be others should I decide to fully restore this bike.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm kinda confused!?!?! ... I'm assuming yer talkin about the badge bar (or emblem plate) which is clearly visible in the photo. JMK.
By golly, you're right. They are there. I thought it was an indentation, but it is the mounting bar. I was going by this photo of the tank that got away.

But after reading your post, I went out and took a good look and you're right, they are there.

So, anyone know where I can get a set of emblems and decals? :-D

Thanks for setting me straight.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts