Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone just a question about fuel tank rust (inside).... as thats the case what would be the best way to fix it other than replacing the tank? as for fixing it myself how could I dissemble the fuel tank? Thanks in advance....

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ya have lots of choices.......
YAMAHA makes a tank cleaning solution available at the bike shops
KREEM is another tank cleaning solution that will COAT the inside of the tank if needed (pinholes etc)
you can also use PHOSPHORIC or MURATIC acid, dont know all the logistics of useing these acids
ive used the KREEM solution 3 times and have always been happy with the results.
as for tearing down the tank, pull the petcock off and make a stopper/plate for the hole. ive used a small wook plate bolted onto the tank and ive used a stopper setup from the hardware store.
if you do use the LINER from the KREEM setup be careful to NOT plug the VENT HOLE in the filler cap. also if you use the KREEM setup make sure the water is SUPER HOT (boiling would be fine) let the tank sit in the sun till all rust is gone , then rinse with the neutrilizer solution, if the tank only has a little rust then just start using the tank like normal and you should be ok.
good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah.. i heard about the KREEM too... but someone said it has 3 stages and the last stage is not good cause it coat something inside the tank, and that guy said the coat someday is going to wear off and goes into the engine.. so I don't know what is good... if I clean out all the rust in the tank, the tank matel is gonna get thin and its a good idea to get a coating on.... so any suggestions??? thx

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
the ONLY REASON behind people having problems with the KREEM system is from POOR PREPERATION thats why i gave you the pointers about using the KREEM SYSTEM. you dont have to coat the inside of the tank. use the first two steps and then just use the tank like normal. if you keep it full of gas and use the bike you wont have rust. :wink:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The yamaha system is about 1/2 the price of Kreem. Probably cause it does not have a sealer -white color stuff. As QK mentions above you can also use Muriatic acid (pool acid) to take surface rust off. I did not use muriatic acid on the tank, but did use it on other parts that were rusted. 1:1 for lots of rust and fast acting. 1:3 - 1:8 for taking the rust down slower and more controllable. (Weaker soloution) Acid/water PS always keep a baking soda neutralizer close by and a hose or wash station in case some spashes on you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh.. it sounds like a dangerous operation haha.... so i guess the yamaha system is better than the Keerm? alrite thx

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
they are basically the same system, KREEM just has a liner that you can put in the tank if its old and may have pin holes
YAMAHA's system is for cleaning out a tank and just using it so that it doesnt rust again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts