Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think this is the original fuel tap ?
I only ask as this bike has never been complete and i am in the final
stages of the project.

what think ?

i ask as the carbs have 2 vacuum pipes and
2 breather pipes and a single petrol pipe.
Petrol and breathers no issue but the fuel
tap only has a single vacuum nozzle.

where does the other vacuum pipe go ?

(No pictures as tank on but can do tomorrow)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
That looks stock to me. Usually, each carb has a vacuum port. on CV carbs the ports are
usually high up on the carb body on the engine side of the carbs. In the USA two would be
for the Kawasaki clean air system (carbs #1 & #4), one would be capped (carb #3)
and one for the petcock (carb #2). Without the Kaw CAS, 3 vacuum ports would be capped.
Use good automotive rubber vacuum caps.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks - so i can attach one to the tank.
I have a question re when the tank is off with petrol in.

q) Putting petrol in the tank prime works as you would expect - perfect - pours out.
Reserve and On however when the tank is off drip out petrol from the fuel nozzle substantially.
No where near as fast as prime but it is not good at all.
You would need to very quickly attach the pipes or be drenched in petrol when putting it on
with a tank full.

Am I right in thinking this is not right ?
Even putting a blanking plug on the vacuum nozzle when tank is off does not stop the
substantial dripping on res or on.

What is the score with Kawasaki tanks ?
I have put new seals all round and the tap does not leak at all.
Petrol only comes out of the fuel nozzle when off ?

I new these small issues would stop me on this bike.
Why cant the damned taps just work ? really P$%^es me off

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
When the engine is not running or the tank is removed from the bike,
ON & RES act as off & should stop the flow of fuel -->> no fuel flow.

Typical problems: defective vacuum diaphragm, diaphragm o-ring defective or not seating properly, mating surfaces pitted or damaged, worn or weak diaphragm spring.

PRI -->> fuel should flow freely -->> engine stopped or engine running, or tank removed from bike.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers - ebayed another and will clean up the old one to see if i can ....
think o ring not seating correctly. poss spring old too

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here we are 3 years on and I'm deep in a ZRX1100, 1998, for a friend. The OE taps are just ****. They are fitted to so many models and other brands that I can't believe there has not been a mass revolution over these things. Fitted a kit, lasted 10 mins then leaked like a sieve. I had it on a paddock stand so it was level while trying to find misfire, no problem with carbs flooding. Put it on side stand, no centre, came in later and thought HMM petrol smell?. Nothing obvious and nothing on the floor. Following morning started up no problem and fuel was spraying from every possible opening or joint. During the night the entire contents of the tank were in the engine!!. How it never blew up when I pressed the button I'll never know. Drained it all and the tap was pissing out with the engine off. What a piece of crap these taps are, so the main question is:
Has anybody found a normal tap from another bike / model that can be fitted. Don't use the chinese replacement for 51023-1219 or 1260 because they don't fit!! The lever fouls the tank and the output is only 7mm whereas the OE is 10mm dia.
I've drawn the conclusion that when the bike leans on the side stand one or more float valves give way and it fills the engine. All in all, a bag of crap. I'll stick to Honda.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
What's the center-to-center bolt hole spacing?

When repairing a vacuum petcock or replacing it with same, I would only get Made in Japan as the diaphragm is a critical component.

I didn't see a 98 ZRX1100 listed in the diagrams at Partzilla. For the 99 ZRX, there doesn't seem to be a part number for a replacement diaphragm assy, so it seems that you have to replace the entire petcock. I would get either a genuine Kawasaki replacement petcock or switch to a manual fuel valve. A number of oem Yamaha fuel valves might work. Yamaha Raptor et al which have a 34mm bolt hole spacing (pretty sure) & there are several different types, some of which fit snug under the fuel tank & others protrude down more. Made in Japan & they are pretty cheap, in the $25 range.

I would not get a chinese petcock or fuel valve. made in china junk.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Repair kit. K&L 18-5023 petcock diaphragm repair kit. ZRX1100 & ZRX1200. Made in Japan.

I've had good luck with K&L parts (made in Japan) with never a failure or poor fitment, but others have reported problems. In some of those cases it was probably installer error.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tap kit (Jap made)here in UK is $50, OE tap is $100, ebay tap was $15. Flange was OK but tap is smaller overall even though sold as a replacement for OE number. Too close to tank edge so lever fouled tank. Outlet too small, tap is 7mm, OE is 10mm. I would switch to a manual valve with a 34mm pitch if someone who has had this problem before has found one? So I'm fitting a 10mm one from an engineering shop. Straight 90 degree ON/OFF.
I don't doubt there are other taps but it must have a 10mm outlet and flow enough for an 1100. I believe its also known as a ZR1100 in other regions. Put the above numbers in the search and it shows all models.
Any help on the tap would be welcome, what we need is someone who works in a bike breakers who can look at dozens of tanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll add that the owner fitted a jap tap kit before, when it flooded the engine previously! He neglected to tell me that! I was looking at poor running etc, compressions are 140, then he tells me its happened before. Engine strip I guess. I've been at it for 50 years so I have the knowledge. Just hadn't come across this tap before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I 've binned the idea of a separate on/off tap. I've found a Yamaha 660 tenere 1992 tap to do the job. Its 34mm flange as are most it seems, its deep enough to get below the tank and its got an 8mm outlet. If this works I'll come back with confirmation, I suggest in the meantime anybody interested in doing a similar mod, check their ebay or junkyard.
I'm going to fully test it in the next couple of days, if I knew how to load pictures I'll do it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Raptor tap looks like it might do. My Big Bear tap looks too short as the ZXR had a fair rolled edge to the tank and I think the tap arm will foul the edge. If the raptor would fit they are £8 for a chinese one or you have to go OE at £50. eBay again I guess.
I'll be honest, I can't see why Big K owners have put up with this for so long as there is very little on the forums?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just for reference Yamaha's parts listing for the 660 Grizzly tap shows its fitted on 15 models between 02 and 2017.
Raptor is 5LP 24500-0100, Grizzly is 5KM 24500-0100. Prefix may just be model ref?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tenere tap doesn't do the job. It clears the tank etc but is too close to the top of the carb vac cover to get the hose on. If the outlet was straight down it would be fine, most seem horizontal so its pot luck. So Grizzly tap may do it. Nobody here has one but they are £60 anyway. I'll keep looking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts