Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed a wierd noise on my 636 ( 06) .... right when i let the clutch out in 1st gear it makes a clicking noise and also does it in 2nd and 3rd if i am accelerating under 4k rpm.... if the clutch is not engaged or if the bike is in neutral then i dont hear the noise.... any users heard of this problem or anything like it? while acceleration, i feel no slipping or even when taking off in second or third there is no slipping.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Are we talking about a single tap, or repetitive tapping? A single tap, I'd suspect a bind in the cable, or arm. If it's repetitive, I'd worry about something coming loose, or having gotten into the housing. Have you been in there for any repairs recently?

Edit: Are you by any slim chance still under warranty? If so I'd get it to the dealer and request an inspection before you aren't under warranty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. I havent done any repairs in that area.(12,000 miles on the bike though) be honest with ya, i hoped this would be something normal with a slipper clutch on the zx's, but I know deep down, i'm gonna have to tear into it. I was just hoping it was something that the 636's did normally. but the noise is a clack noise when i suddenly let the clutch lever out. i'll just look into it tonight i guess. thank you again.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
12K shouldn't be indicative of anything unless you're racing or stunting the thing. My buddy's over 60K on his and hasn't touched the clutch. A 'clack' on an older KZ, used to point to a bad or unlubed throwout cam. I don't think the 636 uses anything like that, but it may not be a huge problem. You may be able to get away with a bearing and a new gasket. Keep your fingers crossed, and don't ride it until you can look at it. Unattended engine noises can get expensive quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts