Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 zrx1200 that has been sitting for about a 18 months. I used to start it every once in a while to keep things moving. A few months ago I went to start it and it would not turn over. A kind of buzzing sound was coming from under the seat...I took of the seat and found that it was coming from the fuse junction box. I want to sell the bike as we have recently had a baby girl and I rarely get a chance to ride anymore, so I don't want to put much cash into the bike. Does anyone know about these junction boxes? Are they a part that just occaissionaly fails and need replacing or is it likeley to be somthing else causing it to buzz when I press the start button.
The bike has about 10000 miles on it and it is kept dry under a carport. I took off the connectors and fuses and all the connectors are clean.
I am no great mechanic but it looks like an easy part to replace... so I would rather not take it to the dealer for a $65/hr labor charger.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I forgot to mention That all the fuses are good

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
Probably a dead battery. Check the fluid levels, charge it up at 1-2 amps overnight, it will probably be as good as new.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Probably a dead battery. Check the fluid levels, charge it up at 1-2 amps overnight, it will probably be as good as new.
What he said....also if its the original battery its 6 years old and likely needs to be replaced.

The buzz maybe a relay not getting enough power to be pulled into contact correctly.....or some other item needing more power.
Charge it up, and if the problem persist get the battery load tested, or just replace it.
Six years is a long life for a bike battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I replaced the battery when I first had this problem. The old one had stopped holding its charge. I have fully charged the new one and even tried a battery from a friends bike...same symptoms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts