Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to a dude today who has 74,000+ miles on his 2000 Kaw Classic 1500 FI. Has V&H pipes, K&N filter in stock intake, and NO fuel map modifier.

Here is list of his maintenance items and tire recommendations"

Best tire: Dunlop 491 - ~20,000 miles on tire, good in rain, too (has tried Bridgestone, Michelin, and Metzler)

Maintenance:

Water pump mechanical seal: 47,000 miles
Clutch spring (not friction discs) - twice in 74K, first about 40,000 miles

and that is all, folks. Says volumes for the reliability and quality of the Kaw 1500 motorcycle. Uses NO oil between changes! Does all maintenance himself (he is a gearhead!).

He uses synthetic oil, not sure of brand and changes at 3,000 miles. Rides long rides (obviously) but no interstates, if possible. So stop and go through the gears is often.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

another success story :grin:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I know some use the Mobil Red Cap Synthetic oil which is safe for motorcycle engines. I have been thinking about switching to that on my next oil change.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great results. Look forward to my Nomad FI doing the same.
Had a small pinion seal leak found during its 7,500 mile check covered under warranty. Other than that problem free. Bought it in 4/04 have 9,300 as of Dec 30,04.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I figure that I will put about 8000 miles per year on my bike, that will give me 9 years before I hit the 72k mark....Yippie!

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
dfgpilot said:
Great results. Look forward to my Nomad FI doing the same.
Had a small pinion seal leak found during its 7,500 mile check covered under warranty. Other than that problem free. Bought it in 4/04 have 9,300 as of Dec 30,04.
oh, you beat me ! i bought mine 05/04 and parked it in October with 8200. would have been more, but i am working on it. i'll have to get it out of the garage early 05 to catch you !!!

i changed over to synthetic at my last oil change, i think it is golden spectrol, whatever my shop carries.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
ispeed77 said:
i changed over to synthetic at my last oil change, i think it is golden spectrol, whatever my shop carries.
I switched to Golden Spectrol at my last change too...Its what my shop uses and recomends. I've not noticed any problems with it and did notice that my shifting got smoother...its all good

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey guys,another great oil you ought to consider is Amsoil 10-40 Motorcycle oil.They also carry 20-50 wt. if ya want it. Retail is $6.00 a Qt. Check out the amsoil website!! See ya,Kenny in North Carolina.....

·
32,545 Posts
spok said:
I switched to Golden Spectrol at my last change too...Its what my shop uses and recomends. I've not noticed any problems with it and did notice that my shifting got smoother...its all good
yeah, i have no complaints, all seems good. most likely i will stick with it, it is easy to get and i know it works fine. thanks for the advice though Kenny.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I've never heard of Golden Spectrol oil. Who makes it?

·
32,545 Posts
the front of the bottle just says "Golden Spectro" (sorrry i was wrong in adding the L earlier). i don't see any other brand names, so i assuming that is it. i am looking at it through a window right now, so i can't read the back, but when i get a chance i will take a closer look. that is the main aftermarket brand that is carried in my area, could be from here maybe ?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Has anyone tried the Kawasaki synthetic oil ?Thinking about switching to that on the 800.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
vanb....No I have not tried it....but I would have to think it would be as good a choice as others. As long as the label on the container does not say "Energy Conserving".....you can use it. Pick your brand but try and stay with the recommended viscosity....especially if your engine is still fairly new.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
LOL....Ohhhhh Noooooo....NOT THE DREADED OIL THREAD!!!!! :) :) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts