Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up with a pile of G4 and G5 stuff over the last several weeks from some guys giving up on projects.
And I would like to find a way to ID the motors.

I know that they are 100ccc, rotary valve, oil injected bikes but I would like to know what years they come from.

G5E 14853
G4E 039193
G4E 006958

and a 2/72 rolling chassis for a G5
G5 014926

I am hoping I can make all this into a decent 100cc off road bike for next year.

And just for fun, this was my rider this summer:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Nice S3. Love the Dencos ! Hang on, and I'll figure out the various years for you. Just need to finish dinner first :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
G5E 14853 : 1972 G5
G4E 039193 : 1972 G4TRB
G4E 006958 : 1970 G4TR

and a 2/72 rolling chassis for a G5
G5 014926 : 1972 G5

The G5 frame and engine might be correct for each other. So called matcing numbers (even though they don't match) The Kawasaki numbers never did match.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info kawah1c!

So much of the lights, fenders and electrical is missing on what I have, I am going to build up a 100cc mx'er with these parts, so the right numbers didnt really matter to me.

Did the info come from a reference source that is available to the public?

The S3 was a blast to ride, but pretty twitchy at speed. I sold it last month. I still have an F7, KDX, and the G4, G5 pile.

Although not Kaw's, I did pick these two up a couple of weeks ago to replace the S3:

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Careful L2R, people will begin to think you're developing a Napoleon Complex. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The info is from the Kawasaki recognition manual. Don't know if it's available on the net. Is that an F5 in the back there ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good eye!

Yes it is a Bighorn. When I made the deal for the RD400, they guy said he would come down to my price BUT I had to take the F5 as part of the package. (I really didnt want it or have space for it).

So now I have this as well:

It sparks, has pretty good compression. No pipe and the kicker seems to not engage all the time. Tires are poor. He had ideas of running some AHRMA Vintage class races with it.

I have no immediate plans for it, because I want to build a 100cc class racer. Probably just sell it.

L2R,
Dont know what kind of mirrors were on the S3, they came with the bike. Worked ok, left one got a bit fuzzy at speed though.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That's what I call a great deal ! "OK, I'll meet your price but you HAVE to take the F5 and the F5A too :) :) :) My buddy is currently restoring one of each.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont think I got any wheels, other than the two shown, but I will look.

Is the green one the F5 (Bighorn) and the brown one the F5A (Bigbear)?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
No such thing as a bigbear. The Rawhide (brown) is the F5 (1970), and the green is the F5A (1971). Both are bighorns, but the 1970 F5 was the only one that had the "Bighorn" logo on the oil tank. The F8 250 arrived in 71. It was practically the same bike as the F5A, apart from the bore and the colour which was orange. The F8 was named "Bison" The F5 was renamed F9 in 72 and were followed by the F9A, B and C in 73, 74 and 75. 75 was the last year for the single cylinder 350.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kawah1c,
Once again, thanks for the info on the engine numbers and the education on the F5's.

I checked the parts I got and it only included the two steel wheels on the F5A. The guy still has a few more F5 parts. I will be talking to him in the next few weeks and will ask about aluminum wheels and let you know.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
You're welcome, Andy. And I appreciate you checking about the alu rim. It's the rear rim that's interesting. Roger's rim is badly dented and cracked. Thanks !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow....

I hope you are still active on this forum. My dad owned this bike when I was a kid. He started putting me on the tank of his Bighorn 350 when I was about 5 or 6 years old up until the time when he bought me my own Honda Elsinore 50.

I've been thinking about that bike a lot lately, and just recently decided to start searching for information on them. Are there many available? What should I expect to pay for one if I decide to buy? How hard would it be to restore if it is in bad shape?

To tell you the truth, I've mostly been thinking about the Bighorn decal on the oil tank. My dad's CB handle ended up being Bighorn because of that bike and I still have vivid memories of the drawing on the decal. If nothing else, I'd like to get hold of a close photo of that decal so I can get it tattooed.

Anyways...any information about that bike and that decal design would be much appreciated.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
G4T Sport wiring???

Hi Guys,

I just got myself a 1972 G4T Sport and are having major issues with the with the battery not holding charge.

When the bike is running and I turn on the head lights and test out the indercators the voltage accross the battery drops to about 3.5V and the lights are nearly out.

It' seems as though the magneto is not taking over from the battery. If anyone has got a wiring diagram I could look at it would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers,

Rhett

1 - 17 of 17 Posts