Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this Hi/Lo change lever on my '75 G4TR-E:

My problem - I took the screw out to have a look, and some piece sounded like it fell out onto the floor. I couldn't find anything or sign of this mystery part that sounded like metal when it hit the floor. I don't know if it's a washer or what. I can't find an exploded view of the change lever parts so I don't know what parts are supposed to be present inside.

Anyone have a pic of what parts should be present?

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
How about posting a picture of the insides of your lever housing? We might be able to tell what if anything is missing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assembled:

With bolt removed, showing the lock washer:

There is then a flat washer:

With handle removed, no loose parts inside:

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Hmmmm.

I see a square slot in the shaft but I cannot tell if there is also a matching square slot in the hole of the lever. If there is a matching square slot in the hole, then it looks like you are missing the "key" that fits into the slot in the shaft and the slot in the hole of the lever. It locks the shaft to the lever. But does the shaft rotate or is it cast as one piece with the housing?

The key would be a tiny piece of square steel. Very hard to find it if it hit the floor. Square stock should be available at the hardware store or a mill supply house. Just cut yourself a new piece, but first measure the slot to see if it is metric or imperial.

Without a complete disassembly of the unit or more photos, I cannot tell for sure how it functions and thus I am left guessing. If there is no matching slot in the hole, then it still looks like you need a key for the slot in the shaft but its purpose must have something to do with the spring loaded lock button. What happens when you push the lock button now?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wait... yours is on the handlebar? I seem to remember my G4TR had the change lever down low on the left rear of the motor? But that's been more years ago that I'll admit to...

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
All the ones I have seen were on the handlebar, but that's not to say that Kawi did not do something funky in particular year.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think mine was a 71... bought it used, could have already had the cable removed...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm.

I see a square slot in the shaft but I cannot tell if there is also a matching square slot in the hole of the lever. If there is a matching square slot in the hole, then it looks like you are missing the "key" that fits into the slot in the shaft and the slot in the hole of the lever. It locks the shaft to the lever. But does the shaft rotate or is it cast as one piece with the housing?

The key would be a tiny piece of square steel. Very hard to find it if it hit the floor. Square stock should be available at the hardware store or a mill supply house. Just cut yourself a new piece, but first measure the slot to see if it is metric or imperial.

Without a complete disassembly of the unit or more photos, I cannot tell for sure how it functions and thus I am left guessing. If there is no matching slot in the hole, then it still looks like you need a key for the slot in the shaft but its purpose must have something to do with the spring loaded lock button. What happens when you push the lock button now?
I think the square slot is for the shaft of the black selector button.

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Is there a slot in the lever hole? The button is a lock/release mechanism to prevent the lever from moving accidentally and to lock it when the lever has moved the proper distance to change gears. But from the pictures I cannot tell how it does this.

If the locking mechanism functions then I don't know what else could have fallen out.

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
It could be there was a thin plastic washer between the lever and the lever housing to prevent metal to metal contact.
If you measure the depth of the housing and the thickness of the lever, it will give you some idea of how much clearance they have. If its a lot, there was probably a washer of some kind there.

Did you look for the lost part on the bike itself?
Sometimes you think it hit the floor but its actually on the bike somewhere.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It could be there was a thin plastic washer between the lever and the lever housing to prevent metal to metal contact.
If you measure the depth of the housing and the thickness of the lever, it will give you some idea of how much clearance they have. If its a lot, there was probably a washer of some kind there.

Did you look for the lost part on the bike itself?
Sometimes you think it hit the floor but its actually on the bike somewhere.
I looked and looked but no part could be found. I wish I knew someone that had the same change level that they could compare mine to.

I can buy a used replacement for $50 USD plus shipping from this bike salvage yard in Georgia, maybe they could dissassemble theirs and let me know.

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
If the lock button works, why worry about it? Apply lots of grease, reassemble and be done with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the lock button works, why worry about it? Apply lots of grease, reassemble and be done with it.
Yeah, you make a good point. I just want to make sure I have all the parts and not missing something. As it is, we are missing the rubber boot cover on the end of the cable where the change cable joins the change lever (missing boot cover circled in red):

It looks like this without the boot cover, and the cable isn't secured tightly with the change lever housing:

Does this boot cover serve much of a purpose? It would be good if it secured the change cable into the change lever housing. When one moves the change lever handle, the cable end pops out of the lever housing. I could just tape it, but it would look a bit like a hack job.

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
The boot will keep dirt and water out, so if you are going to off-road it, it would be wise to get a boot or a new cable.
However, the boot does not keep the cable physically in place. Once the cable adjuster is properly adjusted, the cable cannot come out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The boot will keep dirt and water out, so if you are going to off-road it, it would be wise to get a boot or a new cable.
However, the boot does not keep the cable physically in place. Once the cable adjuster is properly adjusted, the cable cannot come out.
I had to order the spring for the bottom where the change cable attaches to the lever arm. I might be able to buy a used boot cover from that salvage yard but it might be deteriorated if it's original. Is the change cable bottom secured by a nut? The cable end is threaded, as is the gear case cable mount... circled in red:

I could find a nut to screw on the end of the cable after the cable has been screwed into the housing. I can't seem to find any nut on any parts schematics. Man you are probably thinking "this guy sure is picky"...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts