Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. I was just reading a thread about a garage door opener using your high beams. I posted, but it's buried so I figured I'd post a separate thread. Anyhow, I have a much simpler solution to a garage door opener for your bike. My wife and I both have them for our bikes and they work GREAT! Just a little key fob like what you have for your car to lock/unlock it but this one controls your garage door!

Chamberlain Mini 3-Button Remote Control - 956D at The Home Depot

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Kimberlys car has a remote door opener built in, that I keyed in today. My plan was to take her remote and use it with the bike but I like your idea better.

Thanks

·
Registered
624 Posts
Kimberlys car has a remote door opener built in, that I keyed in today. My plan was to take her remote and use it with the bike but I like your idea better.

Thanks
An interesting observation. The description states "For use with models manufactured AFTER 6/1/05" It should work for mine as I bought a new one in Feb of this year. The interesting part is that the built in one in my wifes '03 Town Can will not program for the new unit. Change of code frequency? Anyone have any idea how I might make it work?

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Typically, with newer openers, you have what's known as a rolling code. Your car should still be able to program to it but you'll need to look at the owners manual or call Homelink (they do most, if not all in car openers). My '01 Volvo had to be linked differently but works fine now. For those wondering, that link I posted was just one kind. They have different brands for different years so make sure you get one that matches your garage door!

·
Michigan Back Road Rider
293 Posts
I mounted my spare opener to the bottom of my gas tank on the clutch side with Velcro. There is a nice flat spot on the metal and it is a handy spot. The only down side is that you have to be fairly close to the garage door as the metal provides some interference but it does work.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
I've got a Mustang seat w/drivers backrest. On the back of the backrest is a horizontal velcro seam in the cover. Unstuck velcro on the left side, slipped my garage door opener inside & restuck velcro. The cover holds it firmly in place, reach aroud with left hand & press button thru cover & if ya didn't know it was there, you'd never notice it!! Works great & took all of 60 seconds & only 6 beers to do. I was pretty tired afterward.....had to take a nap! :biggrin: 8)

·
'06 Nomad
38 Posts
I used some 3M interlock stuck to the back of the Sears remote and the other half on the back of the windshield bracket. It's mounted just high enough so a portion of the remote sticks up past the metal so there's no interference. Works great, just reach out and hit the button.

·
Honi soit qui mal y pense
52 Posts
I just keep mine in my left side jacket pocket (you folks DO wear your jackets, right?). Sealed in a Ziplock baggie with my insurance and registration to keep safe from the rain. Nothing fancy, just old-skool lo-tech.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I've got a Mustang seat w/drivers backrest. On the back of the backrest is a horizontal velcro seam in the cover. Unstuck velcro on the left side, slipped my garage door opener inside & restuck velcro. The cover holds it firmly in place, reach aroud with left hand & press button thru cover & if ya didn't know it was there, you'd never notice it!! Works great & took all of 60 seconds & only 6 beers to do. I was pretty tired afterward.....had to take a nap! :biggrin: 8)
What an intelligent guy! You're my hero!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I just have it on the keyring with my motorcycle and keep it in my pocket. I'm torn really. I'd like to put it on the motorcycle as I'm constantly leaning over and pushing the button, opening the door. BUT I've had at least 10 or 20 times this year that I've had folks come up to the drive that I've just pushed the button and opened the door. I'll not be able to do that if it's mounted on the MC.

So I've come to a compromise. Sooner or later the plastic that goes on the keyring is going to break. At that time, I'll mount it on the bike. The only bad thing about it being on the keyring is that it's on the clutch side. When I pull around in the drive I have to shift to neutral before I can reach down and open the door.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I need a remote that makes the wife come out an unlock the shed that I built for my bikes.....lol

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
An interesting observation. The description states "For use with models manufactured AFTER 6/1/05" It should work for mine as I bought a new one in Feb of this year. The interesting part is that the built in one in my wifes '03 Town Can will not program for the new unit. Change of code frequency? Anyone have any idea how I might make it work?
Our garage door opener has a rolling code as well but the manual explained how to do it. If you can't find the one with your manual let me know.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That kind will only work for a short time before it blows a fuse. lol
as I recall, it worked once.
Definately not covered under warannty. :icon_frow

I actually have a universal opener (got it at Sears) that came with a bracket. The bracket had an adhesive strip on the back and fit nicely on top of the left side cover. Works from a good distance, too, so no stopping waiting for the door. Just roll right in.

steviej

1 - 19 of 19 Posts