Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it wise to add additive to the gas once in a while?
If so, what's a good one and how often?

·
Registered
459 Posts
You usually have to have a purpose in mind to use an additive. For example, to remove water that you think might be in the tank, use drygas, or a similar water remover. If you need extra octane for some reason, there are additives that will provide this. If you need to remove carbon buildup, there are also additives for this. Unless you have a specific purpose, don't bother adding anything but gas.
Regards

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use a product called Sea Foam. Add it a couple times in the summer to clean the carb and fuel lines. You can also remove the air cleaner with the engine off and pour it in the carb with the throttle open to remove carbon. Let it sit for 5 minutes and start it up in an open area cause there will be a lot of smoke.

For winter storage I add it to the fuel tank to stabilize the fuel and pour it in the carb to fog the engine. Works for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, great. That's what I was thinking about. To probably add something once in a while to clean gas line and carburator.
I might need to use the one for the winter soon.
Thanks.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Sea Foam is good stuff IMHO.

You can get the liquid additive and add one ounce per gallon when you fill up the tank. They also have another product called Deep Creep which has many uses. One is to spray inside the cylinders to help with winterization. You can find Sea Foam products at Napa Auto Parts stores and others as well.

I also use it our lawn mower.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

·
Registered
159 Posts
Gas Additives

Gas additives are like oil additives. If you buy good oil, you dont have to add anything. Buy clean gas and a good grade. You wont have to clean your carb or fuel line. High test gas will burn clean and not produce carbon. Dont lugg the engine or choke it too much and you wont foul the plugs. Remember, anything that cleans is caustic. Most good grades of gasoline have detergents already in them in minimal amounts that wont cause problems but will do the job. Amoco is clear and has been lead free for years and all of their pumps have final filters on them. Fuel only begins to varnish when left stagnant for long periods of time so adding a fuel stabilzer over the winter months is a good idea but drain it out in the spring and put in fresh gas. Burn the treated gas in your car, not in your bike.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm considering giving Fitch Fuel Catalyst a shot. I saw it in a motorcycle catalog at my local dealer. They didn't know of anyone that had actuall tried it, but the service manager had read some good reviews about it and was thinking about trying it himself. Anyone have any experience with it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have been riding/driving since 1970 & have seen all manners of fuel savers, fuel devices, fuel catalysts, etc, etc, ad nauseum, come on the market. If these things were that great, the car manufacturers would use them. Heck, they would be the ones who would have manufactured them in the first place, with the massive amount of engineering brainpower they have. If there was a way to more cheaply get better gas mileage, the automakers would have done it by now. They have every incentive to do so, since the feds are continually requiring higher average fuel economy numbers. The carmakers are continually having to modify their engines to do better and better, and that is expensive to do. The hybrids are now gaining popularity, and billions upon billions of dollars were poured into that technology. Finally, at sea level, the ideal mixture of air/fuel is 15:1. No one can change that, whether it is catalyzed or non-catalyzed. Your ignition, engine style, weight of bike & rider will determine the end result-gas mileage & power.
Hope this helps.
Regards

·
Registered
159 Posts
Better Gas Milage???

Bravo SteveA:
Like I said, Buy a good grade of anything and you wont need an additive. How much better gas mileage can you get than with a Bike. Isnt 40 - 50 MPGs enough? The money they spend on additives, they can just buy more gas.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
grunt said:
You can also remove the air cleaner with the engine off and pour it in the carb with the throttle open to remove carbon. Let it sit for 5 minutes and start it up in an open area cause there will be a lot of smoke.
BE VERY VERY VERY VERY CARFUL DOING THIS !!! you could hydrolock the motor and bend a rod/rods :???: just put it in your fuel. i only use LUCAS or B12. i like the LUCAS ALOT :grin:

·
Registered
512 Posts
is octane boost ok to use in smaller amounts than recrommended?

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Octane boost is just that....it raises the octane level in the fuel...and by adding less you will not hurt anything....just won't do what the label claims as the amount suggested wont be added.

·
Registered
512 Posts
ok thx i was wanting to try to try some octane boost in my bike because all my freidsn bleed by octane boost int here cars and u can feel alittle difference..but i was just hesitant because of how bikes u cant mess up the air/fuel ratio without high chane of engine problems unlike how cars u can "play" with the air/fuel ratio without damage.

by the way anyone use shell v-power? thats all my bikes gets and was wondering if it does help keep the engine clean.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
octane is only needed if the engine "NEEDS" it. my zrx runs best on 87 even though my sticker/manual says 89/91. if your bike isnt pinging then theres no need.if your buddies are using it then they must have high compression engines. cars are apples to oranges when it comes compression ratios. (the busas is 13:1+ and runs fine on 87)
i dont use additives in my bike since its carbed (and i can take them off to clean them in about 10mins) but i do use LUCAS in my truck (FI) since the gas sucks here in AZ. and i notice a big difference in idle smoothness when i use LUCAS.

·
Registered
512 Posts
thanks for all the info QKENUF4U. there has been a couple other questions of mine u have answered thoroughly and has been very helped since im a noob in all.

·
Registered
488 Posts
use a good quality gas with detergents in it. Like Chevron. I was told by my mechanic that I trust a lot to do this and I wouild not have carbon problems. I also use a Chevron injector cleaner occasionally to keep them clean. There is a cut rate gas station where I live. their gas is always about 10 cents cheaper than everyone else. even is you burnt premium it built up a gummy residue thruoghout the intake system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts