Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Does anyone read these?
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a link to a NON-LOCKING gas cap for Kawa's??? The lock is a PITA.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Actually, the locking gas cap has a secondary purpose. Now, I know no one on here would do it, but the locking gas cap prevents one from filling the tank with the ignition on and the motor running. Of course, it's easy to defeat this secondary purpose by carrying a second key. But I'm certain NO-ONE on this forum would purposely fuel up with the ignition on!!!!!!:eek:

·
Does anyone read these?
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can find some cheap.
Any idea where???????

I checked on the RME caps, but I didn't find anythnig for a Cruiser. I want one for a Vulcan900.

"the locking gas cap prevents one from filling the tank with the ignition on and the motor running."

Nope, wouldn't do that. It's just that the locking cap got stuck on me the other day when I didn't get it lined up just right. I couldn't get it all the way on and then the key wouldn't come out. PITA sitting at the pump wrestling with the cap..

·
Registered
624 Posts
Actually, I hate locking gas caps. Had an experience in the Chicago suburbs of being almost out of gas, a locking gas cap and a key-way that was filled with ice. Very unpleasant! Using a torch to melt the ice did not seem to be an option. I'll never have one on a car again.

On the bike, however, if it's cold enough for the key-way to freeze up, the bike will be in the garage. Also, I will have probably moved as it doesn't get that cold in SE Florida!:lol:

BTW, that 900 cap can be difficult sometimes, can't it?

·
Thats a Kawasaki?
220 Posts
Never had a problem with mine, and it has been open a lot ;)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Actually, the locking gas cap has a secondary purpose. Now, I know no one on here would do it, but the locking gas cap prevents one from filling the tank with the ignition on and the motor running.
1600, Nomad, and V2K you can remove the key with the engine running.
That is exactly why I would love to replace my cap with a non-locker... I hate having to dig my keys out. The ignition can be cycled "off" without actually locking the cylinder.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
1600, Nomad, and V2K you can remove the key with the engine running.
That is exactly why I would love to replace my cap with a non-locker... I hate having to dig my keys out. The ignition can be cycled "off" without actually locking the cylinder.
+1 Rich ;)
I was thinking that about Chaz's new Nomad. After he starts it, he puts the key away in his pocket!!! :shock:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
+1 Rich ;)
I was thinking that about Chaz's new Nomad. After he starts it, he puts the key away in his pocket!!! :shock:
Yup. I totally dig it. The only time I lock my ignition is when I'll be out of sight of the bike or when a club member isn't watching it.

OTOH, when my club stops to eat, I'll leave it unlocked, but it's always parked between a couple of Harleys :tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Never had a problem with the cap on my 900 either...I've had it on and off a lot of times.
However, it would be nice to have the option of a non-locking cap.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
i think barons has the gas cap i think $90 for the 900 i seen it last night
I just got through installling the Barons gas cap on my 06 900LT. They offered a discount if I ordered on-line. They send you two packages of a 2-part epoxy, instructions and a mixing stick. They tell you that this change is permanent. Due to the weather here, I have not yet installed the cap to make sure that the epoxy has set (24 hours). Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll try it out and see how it has set. I like the looks of the lower profile gas cap and did not know of anyone else that offered a cap for ther 900.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I SO wish that would work for the 1600, but with the hinged cap, the hole in the tank is offset forward so it would look horrible.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Sorry about that Rich. I would have liked to put on an aircraft style cap that was flush with the top of the tank, but the location of the cap and the curvature of the tank made that impossible. My friend has a 2003 Honda VTX1800S and the flush style filler is dead in the middle of the tank where it is the flatest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts