Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone have info concerning the gas gauge on the Classic 900 LT being so far off in accuracy? Has Kawaski resolved this issue for 2008?

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Do a search KJ lot of information on this subject on the site. Oh and welcome pics of your bike are a must.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
To be honest there isn't need for one. I don't get why critics hate on a bike because it doesn't have "modern" equipment like a fuel gauge.

My odometer is my fuel gauge :p

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
A fuel gauge is nothing more than a SUGGESTION of how much gas is in your bike. I IGNORE them.
Yep.
I've had several motorised bicycles over the years and the 2 I have at the moment are the first with petrol gauges.
I think the alogarithm is " consult gauge , multiply by 3 , subtract 17.64% , divide by 2.024 then ignore completely "
The gauges certainly don't work on my bikes.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
A fuel gauge is nothing more than a SUGGESTION of how much gas is in your bike. I IGNORE them.
+1

Ride by the odometer. Generally, you can trust the low fuel light, which will come on when you have about a gallon left. Seems that the stock gauge shows empty when you still have about 2 gallons left.

The 900 should be able to get better than 200 miles out of a full tank (filled to the bottom of the baffle on the sidestand), but obviously wind, weather, and traffic will impact MPG.

There really is a lot to be said for a petcock with a reserve setting. At that point, you KNOW how much you have left, rather than hoping that an electronic gizmo is correct. On my 1600, mine has been pretty consistent, but on ONE tank, for some reason the low fuel light came on when my gauge showed 1/2 tank. My mileage was also appropriate for 1/2 tank, so I ignored it. It hasn't done that since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts