Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of, this is my first post and I would like to say hello to everybody. I have experience with message boards for a long time. With that out of the way I would like to let you all know im completly new to riding.

I just bought a 1995 kawasaki ninja zx-6r and ran into my first questions/problem.

Here it goes: The top of the gas tank where the gas cap assembly is there is a strange leak of fuel after riding for a while and the bike it warm. This leads me to 3 questions.

1: Does this pose any danger to me, as far as, ok I know the fuel is leaking (a small amount, enought to drip down the side of the tank and under the fairing, then onto the floor next to the kick stand). I am hoping that that there is nothing that will ignite the gas but stray gas is never a good thing. AM I STILL SAFE TO RIDE

2: Is there any way to seal this? I think it may be the gasket.

3: How in the hell does this happen? I am less than 1/2 a tank, I ride the bike pretty hard.... stop and park it. Come out to see the gas where it came from and im like wtf. Does the gas some how rise up to the top and leak out or what the heck is happening for the gas to come to the top of the tank to leak out if im only at 1/2 a tank?

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
18 Posts
First....nice bike....I was just looking a the same yr....My wife said I could have it right after she filed for divorce.... I think your problem is a simple gasket....you probably notice the strong smell after it has sat do to the tank having pressure....

The first thing you should do is grab a manual....one other nice thing is that Kawasaki's web site has parts diagrams for all bike...they break things down really well......untill you are able to grab a manual, you can see all the tank parts.....http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?strContentURL=site/VIVehicleInformation/VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=1

Good luck and be safe with that bike...thats alot of bike for your first....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts