Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day Vatos

I have really been enjoying my new ride. Such a smooth powerband and amazing cornerins. Very comfy and great looking.

So far my only complaint is the apparent unreliabilty of the amber gas light. It came on this morning at about 70 miles. Last week it came on at 82 for the first time and when I finally added gas to the tank and it had been on steadily at 120 miles, I added less than 2.5 gallons.

Something seems wrong here.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't had any problems first hand but the guy I bought my bike from said the fuel light is very suspect. He said he had the light go on and then immediatley spudder out of gas.

I have been watching mine very close and will probably refuel no later than 120 miles until I learn my mileage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wouldn't trust the light too much you'll get a feel for the distance you can go after a few tanks. I found that my milage increased as I got more miles on the engine.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mine "stays" on around 140mi and I get about 3 gallons in. Much before that I'll get some flickers based on bike angle but I've found that pretty reliable. I'm confident running about 150mi between fills. I've got around 6500 mi on my bike, all but 450 since May when I bought it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I found that my fuel warning light definitely came on too soon when I first got the bike - it came on around 80 to 90 miles or so. I've heard that from a lot of people. For some reason, eventually the light seemed to get "smarter" and now begins to light around 120 to 135 miles. Also, I think gas mileage improves after the bike is broken in, and it also depends on other factors like how you ride and the weather - I find my mileage goes down on cold windy days with my windshield.

In general, I still think the light comes on too soon, but its better that it was at the beginning. I use my tripometer and experience to gauge when to fill up. In general, I feel safe filling up around 150 miles, and sometime I still have a gallon still in there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

In a couple of weeks I will take Hidalgo in to have them fix the wiring harness recall problem and maybe that will also help. Will report then.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've got 974 miles on my 2004 Meanie & the low gas light came on once at 100 miles. I usually just fill it up at 90 miles or so at the end of a ride.
Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts