Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
It's purple, ma'am
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting roughly 33 mpg on my 2005 800b, with V&H Cruzer pipes, K&N Filter and Dynojet Stage One kit. Is that the best I can expect? What should I be looking at first in order to improve the mileage without sacrificing too much performance? Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
800B mileage

I normally get about 43 MPG out of my 2001 800B Classic. I have V&H Straightshots, Hypercharger w/K&N filter. If I watch my speed and throttle control, I've gotten as high as 52 MPG. But I really have to resist the temptation to really get on it.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Mileage depends a lot on throttle usage. That said, if you are concerned with fuel mileage, put it back to stock.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You should be getting closer to low 40s really. A windshield helps a bit but 50mpg is a little optimistic with all those mods. I ride a bone stock EX500 and am around the 45 mark in town, 55 on the highway.

It's no big twin but keep the rev's down. Ride the bike in as high a gear as you can without lugging the bike.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
With just pipes and a K&N filter, the Dynojet kit was a waste of money and is the likely source of the bad gas mileage. Putting the carb back to stock would probably fix it. Pipes don't require re-jetting and the K&N doesn't flow that much more air that it does either. Do a search for Russian Wolf's web site and you'll find the correct way to do performance mods to the 800.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the same year bike with the vance and hines cruzers. i do a lot of hiway riding (65 to 85) and after about 4000 miles my mileage began to improve although I always got over 40mpg. It went up to about the high 40s to low 50s. I now have about 9500 miles and have put on a 18 tooth front sprocket, (stock was 17) and am getting about 54 or 55mpg. I did find that on the turnpike when I was averaging 80 to 90 it dropped back to the high 40s.
I also think that the problem might be your carb mods. The Russian Wolf is no longer with us but his info is on another site. I will look for it and if I can find it again I will post it here for you.
Good Luck, Sourdough

·
Registered
118 Posts
Try "Gadget's fixit page". Lots of info about several models of kaws.

·
Thats a Kawasaki?
220 Posts
There are probably about 10 threads about this in the history. Check your carbs, ease up on the throttle, some carb cleaner(SeaFoam) won't hurt. I have almost the same setup as you and get a bit below 40 in city and 45+ on the interstate. If you're not nice on the throttle in the city, low 30s is acceptable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts