Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2005 636.

Does anyone know how the gas overflow works? I was told that there is a metal tube that runs from overflow hole on the top of the tank through the tank (gas surrounds the metal tube.) down to the bottom of the tank where the rubber overflow hose connects. Does anyone know if this is true?

My bike runs fine and there are no gas leaks when it is running. However, gas will run out of the overflow line when I fill the tank. It has happened multiple times and NO gas get onto the top ridge where the overflow is. It is a very steady drip. Someone said there is probably a small hole in the top of that metal line. When the gas is below the hole where is no problems. When I fill it and gas is above the hole it leaks.

I would think the only way to fix this would be with a new tank. Any idea where I can get a new tank? Has anyone heard of this?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I'm not sure if that is the design on your particular model but it is a common design for kaws so I'd guess it probably is like that on your bike. Although I've heard of this sort of leak in the past, it was typically on older bikes that had rust issues in the tank and the rust had eaten through the drain pipe. It could be the seal on the cap leaking and when the tank is full/fuller it sloshes up past the seal to the overflow area and drains down. One way to test this would be to fill the tank as full as you can possibly get it w/o overflowing it. If you get any fuel in the overflow area, wipe it completely dry. Then, w/o moving or riding, check the overflow drain to see if you have a leak. If it doesn't leak during that, try shaking/leaning the bike side to side and see if that produces a leak. If it leaks then open the cap and see if you see any wet spots in the overflow area. That should tell you if you have a leaking cap seal or a leaking drain line.

Another alternative to replacing the tank and stopping the leak would be to remove the rubber drain line and cap the metal drain line where it exits the tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts