Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Finally on the road!
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the carbs rebuilt and the whole exhaust system replaced. Now my bike starts immediately, but gas will pour from the connection where the header comes down and meets the cross piece (sorry for the lack of appropriate lingo) connecting to the muffler on the other side. We're guessing this means that gas is getting into the header, pouring down on the inside and spewing out the connection, and that side belches out smoke from the pipe.

Any ideas? I've had the bike worked on many times, and this gas leak continues to be an issue.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd say turn off the gas,drop the float bowls and see if several things are going on:

1.Saturated float(s), Gas got inside, affecting how the float(s) work.

2.Stuck shutoff valve, some crud is on the shutoff valve seat, get a cotton swab(Q-tip), some metal polish and spin with your fingers the swab with metal polish on the valve seat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had the carbs rebuilt and the whole exhaust system replaced. Now my bike starts immediately, but gas will pour from the connection where the header comes down and meets the cross piece (sorry for the lack of appropriate lingo) connecting to the muffler on the other side. We're guessing this means that gas is getting into the header, pouring down on the inside and spewing out the connection, and that side belches out smoke from the pipe.

Any ideas? I've had the bike worked on many times, and this gas leak continues to be an issue.

Had the excact same problem with my Z1000 LTD 1982

Diaphram on the petcock was leaking,sucking fuel straight into the intake manifold
Had that replaced and the problem was solved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.