Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my gas tank off to paint it and it sounds like there is a lot of crap sloshing around in there. Do you guys know of the best way to clean a gas tank to get rid of the dirt and rust and what not? What can I flush it with that wont damage the tank?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yamaha Fuel Tank rust remover.

$14.95 Part number (ACC-Fuel-CD-kt) Comes in two parts - 1 pint of rust remover and 1 pint of neutralizer. Fill the tank half full with water and add the rust remover (phosphoric acid) - top up the tank and close the gas cap and shake. uncap the tank and sets up for about 4 hours and then rinse with pressure washer. Add the neutralizer and its coated with something - drain and let tank dry.

Kreem is the other one, but tends to just cover the rust and as you know, rust never sleeps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One quick question. I got the yamaha stuff.....the remover is sitting in the tank right now. The instructions say to wait after the neutralizer is drained and completely dry before adding a gallon of gas. How long does it usually take. Is it something I can leave for a day or should I be anxiously awaiting dryness to throw in the gas before there is any chance for rust to return?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool....so you think I could let it dry and then throw on a coat of paint while its off too? Just wondering how long I should let it sit off the bike without gas in it, because the directions seem to imply that the gas helps keep it rust free

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The acid would have removed any rust of old. The neutralizer is supposed to seal it up and get rid of any moisture left over. You should be ok to paint, but I would not delay too long.

It's 96 out here and would be dry in an afternoon....Don't know what your weather is like. You can always blow dry it to hurry up or cook the tank in the oven 140 F

·
Registered
78 Posts
the whole idea of putting your petrol tank in an oven is waaaay scary tbh. :/

(i am thinking of doing this as my bike badly needs a respray, and while the tank is off you might as well clean out the petrol tank, as you dont know what **** people have put in there before you bought the bike)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gasoline is a volatile substance but it does take quite a bit of energy to actually ignite. Things to fear are high instantaneous discharges like a spark, even if via static electricity. A slow gradual heating of an oven wouldn't be enough. I'm sure on a 90 degree day and your bike sitting in the sun the UV rays heat your tank past 140 degrees F.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It won't blow - he just cleaned it out and is trying to dry it out. I would have to agree that even if he did have gas in the tank it still would not ignite, although for arguments sake , let's not do it on purpose.

I have seen cars in cookers to dry paint and it is over 140 in their with a full tank of gas!

·
Registered
78 Posts
still makes me feel nervous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts