Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the inside of my gas tank coated. Is there some stuff I can buy to do it myself or do I need to have a shop do it for me?

Thanks,
Albert

·
Registered
487 Posts
I personally haven't had a tank lined but have seen the results if it is done incorrectly. the liner pulled away and pieces were sucked into everypart of the fuel system imagineable. good luck with whatever you come up with.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used Creem tank liner in mine about 8 months ago no complaints yet, seems to be working great and my bike gets ridden just as much as my truck maybe a little more. It's easy to do just takes a couple of days to do it right, and only costs like $30.00. Just follow instructions well. I have a inline fuel filter just in case it does mess up, but no probs so far.

·
Registered
269 Posts
most of the shops around me charged $100.00 + to do it for saving 70.00 I am very happy with it. just take your time and follow the steps on the bottles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where can I get this Creem tank liner. Is it something I can get at any motorcycle shop or do I need to get it off the internet somewhere?

Thanks,
Albert

·
Registered
269 Posts
All of the shops around me stock it and most will give you advice on using it. It is 3 steps and 3 bottles of stuff. 1rst one is a cleaner and metal etcher, removes all rust from tank. 2nd is a conditioner. 3rd is the liner. Most important thing is to follow instructions on using it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GAS tank...

If all else fails check Kawasaki, or contack Brad or Tim at OZ Cycle Salvage in Ottawa, KS, and tell them Lindsey Angell from Gardner, KS told you to give them the Kawasaki Forum Rate... 785-242-0600

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MEATLOAF

Sometimes you want hamburger, and you end up with all the filler like eggs, crackers...seanonings...and MEATLOAF. It's like that on the Kawasaki Forum...It's a fun Place, but if you don't get the answer try again, but you have to share in the process...Sometings will have you sitting in front of the computer screen chuckling...somethings are not so funny...just jump in...and It's great to have you on the Kawasaki Forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: MEATLOAF

Hi, I own a 1980 KZ 650 F1, quite a few years ago I coated the inside of my tank with a resin kit and had no trouble for a long time untill I moved from the UK to Canada, taking a guess at it I think the -30 winter temps may have caused the resin inside the tank to break up like nut brittle and become loose inside the tank.
Anyway regardless if I am right or wrong about the cause, the question is, is there anything I can do about it, the tank has been proffesionally resprayed at great expense and so just buying a new one is out of the question, the only other thing I can think of is to try and get as much loose stuff out of the tank as possible and try another lot of resin to try and hold it all in place, if anybody has any better ideas they would be gratefully recieved.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
If the sealer manufacturer is still around call them for a recommendation. No sense creating a bigger problem when you don't know the properties of the existing material.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The tank was coated with resin many years ago and there is no way I could remember the name of the company or product name,also the tank has a very expensive paint job and so there is no way I could consider just buying a new one. if I dont re coat the tank with another resin the only thing I can think of doing is to try and get all of the loose bits out of the tank and just keep an eye on the inside of the tank for anymore loose bits.
The petrol **** on the tank has a very fine mesh filter on it about three inches long, hopefully this would stop any crap getting into the carbs ect, at least I may still be able to ride my bike occasionally , however if anybody has any more permanent or better ideas please, please let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for that, will do on the line filter, my bike is 31 years old now and still going and that`s the most important thing gammy tank or no gammy tank!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts