Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new tank for my 90 ex500 and this new one is from an 89. There are places on the original tank for two hoses labeled blue and red. I am wondering if these are emisions control and if i can just plug them. My new tank doesnt have these 2 spots for hoses.

thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is from my bike so it may not apply. The blue hoses are labeled as breather hoses but the red hose it labeled as a fuel return line. You'd want to have that kept as is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ususally the second Hose is from a Vacuum Line that tells the Petcock how much gas to dispurse....I dont know An extraordinary amount about your model Bike but Im assuming since it has 2 Hoses like my 250 its Not Just a gravity fed carburation system on the Bike...when you turn the petcock on the tank to the on position does gas flow out freely or does nothing come out...answer that question and youll know if the Petcock you have will work for your Bike... Cuz if its Gravity Fed and it Just pours out i doubt it will work if indeed that second hose on your model Bike is a Vacuum Line. Other than That....I hope i could help...And a New Petcock is Probably the Fix if the Situation requires.

:twisted:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would personally try and get the proper gas tank and not have to worry about having to rig things up to work right. Sounds like the 89 and 90 models are not exactly interchangeable. Check the part numbers on Kawasaki.com and if they match I'd have some words with the guy who sold you the tank.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Tank could be a model change or it might be a CA. tank vs 49 state bike tank??????

Service manual will tell you what its for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked in the Clymers and these tubes seem to be for a CA bike and it runs through emissions. I am not sure how to tell if my bike is a CA bike...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts