Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to fill up my tank today, I had trouble getting the key into the tank lock. It went in on the 2nd try, but wouldn't turn. Obviously I couldn't get any gas.

While bored at stop lights, I would flip up the cover over the keyhole and realize there was some condensation present. I never thought of it as a problem though.

We had crummy weather this last week, so the bike had bee sitting from sunday till this friday morning. I guess that gave it enough time to lock up.

I have another 20 miles of gas before I hit the reserve tank, so I have some gas to get the bike somewhere if need be.

I'm going to try some lock lubricant, but besides that I don't know what to do, besides take the tank in somewhere.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update...

I sprayed some WD40 in it. It didn't help much...

I was showing some of my friends tonight how it was stuck. My drunk buddy sat on the bike, and while I wasn't looking cranked on the key and got it to turn. Sure, it is moving now, but the key is slightly bent.

I can get gas in it again, but how can I prevent this from happening again? I bought some Lock Deicer/Lube tonight and will give that a shot.

Don't worry, I took the bike home before I had a drink.

Kevin

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I'd make sure the lock is lubricated well, but thats the only thing I can think of that would cause a problem like you've described.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gas Tank Lock Stuck - White Powdery Residue

I have a similar problem with ZX-6R 2005. Nasty surprise at the gas station. Eventually I got lucky and opened the tank.

I noticed there was white powdery residue. I cleaned it as much as I could, then lubricated the lock. It got better but not as new. Is this caused by the gas vapors going through the lock due to changing temperature? How to prevent this?

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Locks need lubrication to minimize wear and take advantage of the oil's corrosion protection. One drop every few months. In your case, my guess is that the tumblers have worn out in the tank lock if the key still works elsewhere like the ignition. If you can non-destructively get the lock apart, file the tumblers or may just throw them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you all. Will keep regularly lubricating the lock and will try to take the lock apart.
PS: I did more searching of the problem in the meantime and the stuck lock issue seems to be quite common.

·
Registered
462 Posts
For future reference....

never put WD40 in a lock. WD40 gets gummy when it dries. Use a lube specifically for locks. With one of my bikes, the lock is sticky from corrosion over the years. I just push slightly on the forward part of the cap and it takes some of the strain off the lock latch. The cap opens much easier that way. I have to push the cap when closing too. Once I understood this, the exercise is no biggie....chris3

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Ninja 250 has been sitting for about a year and we were going to put some gas in it to see if it would still run but the key hole on the gas tank is locked up or something it won't turn. I tried oil in it and we jiggled the key around, and pushed down on the cap to see if it would open. Nothing worked. It's still stuck. A friend of mine suggested drilling out the key hole and buying another gas cap but I didn't really want to do that. Is there anything else I can do?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I'd get some good penetrating oil use one of the straws on the nozzle to make sure you get it inside the lock. Soak it good several times over the next few days and see if it frees up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Heat is a good thing as some of the goo and crud softens. But in the case of a gas tank, a flameless heat gun is prefereable to the torch.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
The blower motor can generate sparks and the element might possibly be hot enough to ignite fumes if they were pulled in by the intake of the heat gun so I wouldn't use either around the lid of a gas tank.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mike. Good second thought. A bit of dust sucked in the heat gun might come out red hot. What do you think about boiling water from a kettle with the key in place to conduct in the heat? Maybe with a rag in place to hold the hot water in place.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
That might work and it would be safe. My tank lock started getting really bad a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it was due to corrosion that started as a result of being in uncovered parking/storage. It never locked up completely but with regular oiling and use it soon cleared up and works normal now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks everyone! I finally got it open, lol, used a lot of lube and a hammer on it and it came unstuck. there was rust in the gas tank so we scrubbed it out reall good, nice and silver again, and refilled it with good fuel and it still won't start though. It tries to but just won't turn over. Just bought a new battery for it a couple days ago too

·
Registered
276 Posts
Good job. Never underestimate the utility of a good hammer blow. And I've got quite an impressive rack of hammers that see regular use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts