Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

First time posting but I've been on Kawi's forever. First bike was an H1 500...LOL

Ok, now I have an '89 Ninja 750R which decided to let it's fuel tank rust from the inside out. No biggie, I got a replacement tank from EBay. Of course, thetank was naked and I ordered all the hardware to slap it on and ride off. One thing that I didn't order was a new lock cylinder for the gas cap. The old one worked fine and I sort of wanted to keep the same key, if possible. So here's the question....how do you get the lock cylinder out of the old cap without destroying it? I assume that's possible but, hey, you never know.

I did a search and found a bunch of posts on removing the cylinder by force, mostly because they were seized.:D

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
114 Posts
i had to change mine over yesterday on a gpz i think there fairly simalar. altough i did manage to get it out of the the old cap and working in the new one i dont think i did it quiet right as the barel will just lift out of the new cap. and i had a real ***** of a time getting it out of the old one. what i can tell you is it must go out in the same direction as the key hole. im thinking i might have to put a spot of glue on the bottom of mine just to stop it form comming out on the key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts