Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, if you've been reading my posts you know that the gas tank is my new favorite problem! Well, I've now found a small pinhole leak that I have to patch on the underbelly. What can I use for this? Is Bondo ok or will the gas eat right through it? Can I bondo the hole shut and the JB weld over it or should I just use JB weld all the way??

·
Registered
95 Posts
I fixed a pinhole in mine with gas tank repair epoxy from autozone. Sand off the paint around the hole and use a knife or nail to spread the hole and break away the really thin metal around the leak. Position the tank so no gas is on the other side of your repair and let the epoxy dry (cure) before you check for leaks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That epoxy stuff worked great. JB weld actually makes its own "JB stick"they call it. Basically JB weld only in an easier to use putty. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I repaird a gas tank a year ago for a buddy of mine. It had a small dent in the side of it. After taking all the safty percautions, removing fuel, leting it sit fo a few days and filling it with water. I grind it down and pull it out with a spot welding stud gun. when removing the stud I got a small pin hole in it by leaving the spot welder on to long. I welded the hole back up and reconditioned the in side of the tank with a product called Cream. I bought the kit that cleans the tank from rust and such and at the same time etching the metal for the cream sealant that seals small pinholes and such. It work great for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts