Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '07 900LT Classic last June, and been plagued with a whine in the engine or gears from day one. It only occurs when the bike is in motion, and is worst when accelerating uphill between 50 to 60 mph. It sounds like a combination siren and a nest of crickets. If I let off the throttle, it goes away.
I also get the same noise to a lesser degree when decelerating to a stop.
The dealer took it for a ride and, of course, didn't hear it.
The engine has no noise at all when revving in neutral or when the clutch is pulled in.
Is there some spinning fly wheel or balance wheel on the crankcase that could be causing this horrendous shriek? Or maybe a faulty bearing?
I'm just about ready to go back to my 500LT. Other than being a lightweight, this was a perfect, speedy bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You are right, it is more than likely the transmission. It is supposed to be the way the gears are cut that make them whine like that. I suppose I can go along with that...but it does not make be feel any better. Do a search on "900 whine or whirring" and you will find a number of people that have issues with this "characteristic" of the bike. I am one of them. It drives me nuts to the point that I will be selling it this spring, if I can. Some people do not mind the sound (probably because they have one that is not so loud). It seems that the noise is more prevalent in some 900s than others. I am not sure why. My friend has the the 2006 900 classic and although it whines a little it is not nearly as bad as mine.

Some of the racket might be because of an overly tight drive belt that most of the 900s are being shipped with. Yours is probably too tight if it is adjusted to factory specs. If you loosen it a little it might help a little with the whirring sound. It did not help me at all really. I also tried synthetic oil because some said it might help a little. I am glad it helped THEM. I did not notice a difference.

Anyway, I hope you got one of the ones that can be helped with the few options above. The 900 is really a great bike. I love how it rides and handles. That sound drives me nuts though, and ear plugs do not really help. Good luck.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Sorry to hear you guys are having so many problems. I guess I got one of the good 900s or it could be that the Road King I ride is so noisey, the 900 seems quiet. I did have some belt noise on my 900 but a little adjustment took care of that. The transmission did whine some, not really bad, but when I switched to Kawa Synth "oil" most of that stopped. I have noticed that the more I ride it, it is getting smoother and less noisey.

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1 on the ride getting smoother as I put miles on it. The scootworks pulley I installed helped a lot on the vibrations but it seems like it is really smoothing out now that I have over 3k miles on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts