Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Vulcan 1500cc
Changed Gear selector seal though when refitting the washer has fallen into the pan. How do I retrieve it and if left in there what damage may occur? Thanx heaps in advance for any advice

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ahhh, Murphy's Law strikes again! I have not worked on a Vulcan but if the washer fell in, you ought to be able to fish it out. Tool shops sell magnetic retrieval tools for just such an occasion. They look like a teacher's pointer but with a magnet on the end. Some are made with a flexible shaft.
You might have to drain the oil so you can see inside better. Definitely do not leave it floating around inside your gearbox as it can cause horrific damage if it gets into the teeth of rotating gears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you kindly WFO-KZ.
Have unsuccessfully tried to fish it out for over an hour now 😒 with the last 20mins with a magnetic strip.
Best be off to the auto shop n get that tool as my enthusiasm on this project is diminishing right at this moment 🤔😁.
Again TY for taking the time with your assistance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A quick think, went to my fridge, grabbed 2 lil strong magnets and placed on soft, bendy wire wrapped with a plastic seal over them both, and success.
Any ideas/tricks to not lose the washer on my next attempt at placing it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey that's great news! Without knowing the mechanism, I am not sure why the washer won't stay in place but one trick I have used is to coat it with a thin layer of grease. The grease acts a bit like glue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts