Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I LOVE the new Nomad. Most comfortable bike/seat I have ever owned, one of the most comfortable I have ever been on. On the other hand, wifey is not satisfied. She says that it is much more comfortable than the old 900LT, but her friend has armrests, etc. I believe a trunk and wraparound backrest will solve that, but what about the seat itself?

I don't need nor want to change the rider seat, only the passenger seat. To save money, I am considering a gel pad or air pad for her. Anyone here use both and can tell me which is best?

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
LoL! ..and this is why I ride with a solo seat.. no room on the back for a complaining woman. :biggrin:

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
AirHawk pad, just follow the instructions and don't put too much air in it. Doesn't take very much and if you lean onto one butt cheek it should actually touch the seat underneath.

·
Registered
27 Posts
AirHawk pad, just follow the instructions and don't put too much air in it. Doesn't take very much and if you lean onto one butt cheek it should actually touch the seat underneath.
+1, the AirHawk pad is probably your best bet.

·
Once I had $$ now a bike
115 Posts
I have a gel seat, wish i had bought the mustang, but short on cash at the time, gel gets really hot in the sun, and stays cold in the winter. However i have read others say the Airhawk is prime theft target because of price, can you believe a biker would rip of another biker, what is the world coming to.
Lesson take the airhawk with you always.

Just something to think about.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I have a gel seat, wish i had bought the mustang, but short on cash at the time, gel gets really hot in the sun, and stays cold in the winter. However i have read others say the Airhawk is prime theft target because of price, can you believe a biker would rip of another biker, what is the world coming to.
Lesson take the airhawk with you always.

Just something to think about.
Can also be a money maker. We stopped on our way to Red Lodge for a break, and shortly three sport bikes pulled in. We thought we'd see three young guys hop off, but it was three old guys, riding a Ducati, Triumph and GSXR. They came over to chat and were checking out Jodie's Ninja as none had seen one yet. One of them noticed her AirHawk and started asking all sorts of questions about it and then asked if she wanted to sell it. Ended up being a bidding war between all three and got up over $200 but she finally laughed and said NO WAY she was getting rid of it with a few thousand miles to ride home. :tongue:

·
King Dad
79 Posts
Gotta go with the Airhawk. I bought the gel seat right after I bought my bike. Much better than the stock seat but still having occasional tailbone issues. Got the Airhawk and all is well so far. Ditto on the inflation comment made earlier. Don't want too much air.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I've never used the Airhawk but I have had gel pads, they don't give you much more than the stock seat does. The next add on pad I get will be the airhawk unless I spend the $$ on a Mustang like I had on my old bike.

·
Registered
362 Posts
When I bought my Nomie las year it had a Mustang seat on it. Pretty comfy, but it has a little too much dish, and it is mounted pitched slighly back. I've cut a piece of foam to fill the dish a little that I plan to just sit on when I ride to AZ later this month.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've got a 3/4" hospital grade gel pad in my seat (I installed it and modified the seat shape at the same time). I occasionally still use the Air Hawk cause it works ssoooooo well.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Adding a trunk will ease her bottom. Some guys here have open their seats to add gel pads. Never tried the air pads so no coments there.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FOLLOWUP:

I stopped by an upholstery shop today. The guy has done two simple jobs for me and does good work. In fact, he told me the price of the second job and I paid him 40% more than the asked - it was that good and that quick.

He said that he can reshape the passenger seat and also expand it by an inch or so on each side without going any farther back. He will have to make a new Naugahyde cover since the old one will not fit when he finishes, but he is interested in the job. I will take the passenger seat in Monday or so, and he should finish by Wednesday (busy guy). He is thinking $50-60 or so.

I will keep you guys (and gals) posted on the results.

·
Registered
995 Posts
FOLLOWUP:

I stopped by an upholstery shop today. The guy has done two simple jobs for me and does good work. In fact, he told me the price of the second job and I paid him 40% more than the asked - it was that good and that quick.

He said that he can reshape the passenger seat and also expand it by an inch or so on each side without going any farther back. He will have to make a new Naugahyde cover since the old one will not fit when he finishes, but he is interested in the job. I will take the passenger seat in Monday or so, and he should finish by Wednesday (busy guy). He is thinking $50-60 or so.

I will keep you guys (and gals) posted on the results.
The upholstery shop that I got the gel pad from quoted me about the same to install the gel pad and re-shape the seat. I figured for that much I could do the work myself.

·
Rick
24 Posts
I had purchased the Saddleman Gel pad and found 3 months later it had a chemical reaction with the factory seat cover and destroyed my cover so i would try a air hawk next

1 - 20 of 27 Posts