Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
08 Vulcan 900 Classic
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their stock seat re-done with the gel pack inside? Does it help? I found someone in Chesapeake, VA that will cut out some of the foam and install a gel pack on both the driver and passenger section for about $130. It would cost me almost $200 for 2 Pro-Pads. Don't have the money for a mustang seat so I am looking for a cheaper alternate.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
I've read several mixed reviews of modified seats. I'd say the safe bet is to live with what you have and save up for the Mustang.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I would recommend an "Air Hawk" seat pad. Easy to use and quite comfortable. Mustang seats don't "fit" all behinds, I had one on my C50 and sold it after about 4 months.

·
Slow and Easy
57 Posts
My wife and are are in the process of having our stock seats done with Saddlemen gel pads. I will have to get back to you in a couple of weeks.

·
Old enough to know better
58 Posts
I went to the local automotive upholstery shop this week and discussed this topic with the gentleman. Said he'd inserted gel packs on several motorcycle seats. Also said he'd added to numerous wheelchair seats.

He showed me the gel sheet and explained how he'd remove some foam, inset the gel, and then cover the gel with a thin sheet of foam. The gel sheet was much larger than what's in the Kawasaki gel seat. Cost will be $100 and we scheduled the work for next week. Sounded like an inexpensive upgrade without buying a $400 Mustang seat. I'll report the results.

·
08 Vulcan 900 Classic
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to the local automotive upholstery shop this week and discussed this topic with the gentleman. Said he'd inserted gel packs on several motorcycle seats. Also said he'd added to numerous wheelchair seats.

He showed me the gel sheet and explained how he'd remove some foam, inset the gel, and then cover the gel with a thin sheet of foam. The gel sheet was much larger than what's in the Kawasaki gel seat. Cost will be $100 and we scheduled the work for next week. Sounded like an inexpensive upgrade without buying a $400 Mustang seat. I'll report the results.
That is exactly what I was told by the guy I saw yesterday. He is going to do the passenger part of the seat also for $130. I would like to know how yours goes.

·
2 Wheel Addiction
563 Posts
I wanted to upgrade from my stock seat, but the pricing on after market seats is just crazy, to me anyway. I was at a shop called Alligator Bobs one day last year and got to talking with the owner Bob. He showed me the Pro Pad that he sells, they just strap over the seat, but mentioned the drawback that it can be stolen since it's just on top of your seat. He said he can and does install them inside your stock seat by cutting out the foam, then inserting the gel pad from Pro pad and adding a slim layer of foam to smooth everything out. The price was 115 bucks and if I wasn't happy after thirty day's he would return my seat back to stock form and refund the cost of the Pro Pad. While I was on the bike and he was checking where I actually sat on the seat, he noticed I was on the balls of my feet. He mentioned he can take away an extra half inch of foam so I would reach the ground a little bit better as well. This was right before Red Lodge last year, so I figured it was a good test, since I would be on the road for a week. I dropped off the seat and had it back that afternoon, I could tell the difference as soon as I sat on it. What a huge difference it made, I was a bit skeptical that it would make a difference but it really worked. The pain and squirming while in the saddle for a long day of riding is gone. The Pro Pad is awesome, go for it you won't be disappointed. Oh, that was on the VFR first, I have gone back and had the Meanstreak done as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I added the gel, no great improvement. I didn't have the cash either (mustang seats are a lot more expensive when you factor in the dollar exchange, shipping etc.. to Canada) so I waited and eventually found a used mustang. I love it!
My vote goes for getting the mustang.

·
sparky
42 Posts
I had my factory set redone by an upholsterer on my 900 custom.Rather than putting in gel packs i elected to have him cut out some out of my seat and the back one and put in some better foam.Ive only had it out twice so far (north dakota weather got to love it) but i can tell a big difference.The good thing is it only cost me 50 bucks.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I had mine done with with gel and memory foam. Just did a 460 mile ride yesterday and my butt was fine could have done another couple hundred miles pretty easily (and I have). Wife still wants a mustang for her.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I did my own mod, cut out some foam and added a couple gel pads. It was cheap and easy, and an improvement over the stock seat, but still not very nice after about 45 minutes. I then bit the bullet and bought a Mustang with backrest. I rode all the way down to the gulf last week and back. MUCH better. My butt still gets a bit numb after about 6 hours but nothing like before, and the backrest is terrific.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had mine done at MeanCityCycles, went the whole shabang, didn't get much improvement (at least for my butt). As a matter of fact that seat is for sale. I ended up shelling out the ducats for a Corbin Young Guns w/backrest. That set up is awesome. Because of the seat, I joined a touring club and am looking to do some serious riding. Because of the pain with the modified stock seat, I wouldn't have even considered a ride over 2 hours.

If you are interested and before you cut into your stock seat, I would be willing to send my seat to you so you could try it and see if you like that type of gel/foam modification. PM me.

steviej

·
2 Wheel Addiction
563 Posts
Another option might be to purchase just the foam, I believe Sargent sells their foam separately for do it yourself applications.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CRUZERGUY I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS GUY,DO YOU HAVE E-MAIL OR PH# FOR THE GELL PACK IN STOCK SEAT GUY,MY BUDDY HAD HIS BIKE DONE AT A RUN IN CALIFORINA AND SWEERS BUY IT,BUT CANT REMBER THE VENDERS NAME. THANKS LOT

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Wal-Mart has a gel pad $20 automotive section seems to work well.

·
Live to Ride
185 Posts
My opinion, save the money for the Mustang seat........that is what I am doing. My brother on an older bike had someone screw with the stock seat adding gel and the seat was never comfortable again. He ended up getting a new seat to replace the re-worked seat.........so in the long run he spent more money then if he were to just bite the bullet in the first place. The seat is an investment in your ride.......don't try and go the cheap way.

·
Live to Ride
185 Posts
Vivadude...........you are so correct. You cannot make everyone happy. One persons happy butt is anothers sad butt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts