Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys,

I am WAY new to biking.. Only been on one 3 times in my life( as a passenger!), decided I wanted one and purchased a clean little '99 Vulcan 500. Does anyone know of some of the consistant pros/cons to this machine? Things I might need to be aware of as potential mechanical problems?? I know this is a real general question - but figured if anyone would know the nature of this little beast, you all might.... :?:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

there's several 500 owners here-i'm sure they'll chime in

the 500 is great bike as far as i know :wink:

welcome and ride safe!

·
Registered
134 Posts
bikenewbie said:
Hi, guys,

I am WAY new to biking.. Only been on one 3 times in my life( as a passenger!), decided I wanted one and purchased a clean little '99 Vulcan 500. Does anyone know of some of the consistant pros/cons to this machine? Things I might need to be aware of as potential mechanical problems?? I know this is a real general question - but figured if anyone would know the nature of this little beast, you all might.... :?:
It should be a fine bike. Now, go get training! 8)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

only real complaints i know of is the fact you have to drop the exhaust to change the oil
but you can relocate the filter without too much trouble :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks about the oil change. I sort of thought you would have to do that, but that is something I'll have to get done anyway as I am mechanically challenged .. LOL Does anyone know if this bike can be lowered in any way ?? Maybe the supension or something?? Thanks again !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Vulvan 500

I got a '99 500 at the start of the season and have 3000 miles on it. I'm also new to riding and found the 500 to be a great intro to riding. Once you take the MSF course (you are planning on taking that course, aren't you?), spend a day in a parking lot, practicing turns and stops. A few days on some slow straight roads, and you'll be ready to go. Don't be too over-confident - the bike does feel good at 70-75, but work into it.
Enjoy and ride safe! And take the course!!!

Rick

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on the 500! Good advice from others so far. Just take your time and ride safe!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome bikenewbie! :grin: I have to re-iterate on the MSF course! You may not think it is worth it now, but it is worth every penny of it and you will be glad and very happy you took it. This is something that should be #1 on your list. Ride safe and keep us posted!

·
Registered
365 Posts
The wife is riding a 91' Vulcan 500. She loves it and I enjoy riding it too. Got plenty of power. It will serve you well as a beginner bike.

I will be like the rest and reinterate the MSF course. They will teach you things you never considered. Driving a bike is nothing like being in a car. You have to keep your eyes moving, always looking out for the other guy whether you have the right of way or not. There is no protection for you on a bike. You have a wreck with a car, you will lose everytime.

Take care, drive safe, and enjoy that bike!

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Welcome Bike & congrats on the 500!

You're gonna love ridin...probly won't wanna get off, helment will get stuck cause of grin & we'll all help you spend the rest of your money for mods! ;)

Just in case nobody else mentions....MSF!...just do it! :mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts