Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Heated gear is a good thing! ;-) Congrats, you'll really enjoy being warm and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks im really pumped but i have a cold - sneezing all over the place and such - i think if i go to hook it up now i can only make things for my health worse :)

kenny

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
I think you'll find it's easy to install. I'll be interested to hear what you think when you actually use it on your first cold ride.

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Sweet. I must admit, it's probably warmenr than my ski pants and parka. But, I used the money for other bling...:mrgreen: Get well soon so yu can give us a road report.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
thanks im really pumped but i have a cold - sneezing all over the place and such - i think if i go to hook it up now i can only make things for my health worse :)

kenny
Nah, hook it up, put it on, set it to Deep Fat Fry and maybe the cold will bake itself out . . .

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
welp i hooked it up tonight...

Looks like the dual controller works like such:

1st knob = jacket liner

2nd knob = gloves and pants liner

I have a dr. appt at 7:15 EST (about an hour from now) then I am coming home, stripping down - putting the heated gear on, dressing back up and trying this stuff out - I CANT WAIT!

Its like 35 - 40 degrees out now

kenny

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, I took them out for a test ride :

AWESOME

(not trying to be fresh here but just honest:)

Nothing on me got cold except maybe the inside of my legs near my crotch, and my butt got a little cold... I think ill email Gerbing and ask about where the elements are in those areas.

The other thing is I have to research my alternator - cause night time = high beam most the time AND light bar lights - I have larger head light bulb (80/100) and larger light bar lights (was 25W each now 55W each).

All that extra stuff plus the suit may be too much for the alternator?

Or maybe its a bad battery cause I did not turn everythiing off first, i killed the bike first - oops.

I cant believe a few seconds of higher current would kill a battery unless its on its way out.

Kenny

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
ok, I took them out for a test ride :

AWESOME

I cant believe a few seconds of higher current would kill a battery unless its on its way out.

Kenny
COOL!! Or maybe I should say "that's HOT!" ;)

How old is the battery?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
battery is since bike was new ... so 7 years old :) I guess im due for a new one.

Other thing i will try tonight is to hook everything up, turn everything on and check the voltage at the battery, if its lower then 13.5 - 14.0 then I know the alternator cant keep up. If Its at those values then i just need a battery

My battery may not be able to hold a charge as well no more.

Meangirl thanks for all the advice on this gear - it kicks arse!

I may get the G3 gloves cause the classics are very bulky to me anyway

kenny

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Heat

Great choice on heated gear. You should be able to ride at about 0°F with no problems at all. :biggrin: With our temps right now, you should be good at about the 10:00 o'clock setting on the t-stat. I've never go past the halfway mark even if it has been 20° outside. As for your batt., you are definitely drawing a lot more current including your lights at night. At high revs, you should be fine that is assuming your charging system is excellent.

Holy smokes on your battery - 7 years old and still doing what it is supposed to. :eek: Sounds like you have maintained the batt well.

Enjoy the gear.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Battery was maintained very well.

I think I need to learn more how the charging system on bikes work, its nothing like a car. The bike at idle with the old battery was about 11.8 volts - definitly not charging.

The battery did not want to charge over 11.5V so I bought a new battery - maybe it had a bad cell?

Anyway so tomorrow after the new battery is peaked, ill put the new battery in and run the bike and see if the voltage goes above 13 - 14V right?

Kenny

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Battery may been ok - but after 7 years - why chance it?

Anyway - I installed the new battery fired up the bike, and at about 2000-2500 RPM it went up to > 14V pretty easily.

However if I turned on the spot lights (light bar) it would not get much over 13.5V

If I then hooked in the heated gear and blasted it - I know i would be drawing from the battery and the alternator could not keep up.

So the trick is I cant do full lights, full heat at the same time. I can do lights and half heat prolly with no issue. But on days i need full heat, I should not be driving at night - so thats my plan - run with lights and MAX @ half heated gear or full on heated gear with no extra lights.

I guess I am requesting too much from the baby alternator from the drifter 800 :)

Kenny

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
battery is since bike was new ... so 7 years old :) I guess im due for a new one.

Meangirl thanks for all the advice on this gear - it kicks arse!

I may get the G3 gloves cause the classics are very bulky to me anyway

kenny
7-years old....yea, you might be due. And on the flip side, very impressive your battery lasted 7-years.

Ya know, I thought it was just because I have "girl hands" but every time I wear my Gerbing classic gloves, I find them a tad bit on the bulky side too. My hands are toasty warm and everything, but it's harder for me to work my clutch & front breaks. All in all, glad to hear everything worked out for you.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK I got everything somewhat down pat - it takes a few rides to get used to this stuff...

Today it was 40 out here is what i wore - im going to be specific because I still am cold a little

Upperbody
1. Tee-shirt short sleeves
2. Gerbing jacket liner
3. Leather jacket - non perforated so its wind proof

Lower body:
1. Boxers
2. Gerbing Pants liner
3. Jeans

Feet:
1. Normal Socks
2. Winter boots

Hands:
1. Gerbing Heated gloves

Today I only turned on the pants and gloves, it seemed I had the pants and gloves on at full blast most the time, I did not even turn the jacket liner on at all and upper body was perfect.

I noticed my butt and inner legs still get cold - I also noticed theres no "heat elements" in those areas either.

I also took a look at gerbings website and it says do not wear denim pants over pants liner.

Im sorry but what other kind of pants are there? Im not going to wear sweats to work haha

anyway I was wondering what pants you all wear over your liners?

I rode for about 2.5 hours today some in the sun some not, about 40 degree average temp (still pretty warm compared to what I WANT to ride in) I did well, I could have rode all day long.

New battery is doing well, I checked it all out, the only time it is not "charging" is if i have all lights on and suit at full blast - the charger just cant keep up.

So if im riding at night I have to sacrifice the light bar lights or the heat suit- or just remember to let it run for a bit before shutting down the bike.

Kenny

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
OK I got everything somewhat down pat - it takes a few rides to get used to this stuff...
Lower body:
1. Boxers
2. Gerbing Pants liner
3. Jeans
Kenny
I wonder if there is some safety reason why they'd tell you not to wear a certain fabric over the liners. All in all sounds like you're having a good ol' time.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having a great old time, but i think ill call gerbing tomorrow and ask why they dont like jeans as the pants over the liners... If They want me to do chaps or something, i think ill trade in my pant liners for there real pants - cascade extreme look really good - heated

kenny

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I feel a little bit like im talking ALOT in here but this is new and exciting to me and i want to share my experience.

I asked about the jeans - problem with jeans is that they are heavy and thick but dont protect from wind. The JEans with a pants liner doesn't work well because the wind gets in there.

I called Gerbing's and since I ordered directly through them they allowed me to return the pants liner for the cascade extreme pants. I am very pumped about trying those out.

They said that people sometimes wear the pants as their normal pants (right over their underwear) I told the person I was speaking with that I like to wear jeans, they said jeans are ok but you wont get as much heat to your body with jeans on. So I asked what type of pants they suggest, they said slacks or sweats corduroy etc...

I also explained that the classic gloves felt bulky, they said it was more of a winter glove where the G3 is more like a pre winter / post winter glove.

I stuck with the classic gloves for now.

So If you are like most everybody else, you wear jeans, if you wear jeans, go with the outside type pants - the jacket liner kicks butt - but if the cascade extereme pants really blow my mind then I am going to trade the jacket liner in for the cascade jacket.

It would be nice to be able to shed one garment and be done...

I hope my mini - review helps.

I will say I have not dealt with such great customer service in a very long time - they are great over there, and ordering direct is the way to go, try your pants on, send them back if they dont fit - thats amazing!

Kenny

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
I hope my mini - review helps.

I will say I have not dealt with such great customer service in a very long time - they are great over there, and ordering direct is the way to go, try your pants on, send them back if they dont fit - thats amazing!

Kenny
Very helpful. Don't they carry a full body suit?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts