Discussion Starter #1
I have been commuting every day in 35-40 degree weather and haven’t really
thought much about it. I assumed that being a little cold was just part of the
“experience.” Well, my next door neighbour upgraded. And he gave me his
old Gerbings jacket and gloves, complete with the dual control and associated
cabling. The jacket actually fit because we have the same general shape. (Read
that as “FAT”)

I got a chance to wire it into the bike last weekend. And Monday was my 1st day
to try it out. OMG , if I knew the ride was going to be that comfortable I would
have bought that months ago!!! I didn’t realize how cold my arms were, and with
my arms warm, my hands are much more comfortable.

I am only turning it on about a third of the way for the Jacket, and barely on for the
gloves and I am still quite toasty. I highly recommend this for us winter commuters!!!!

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Yeah, everyone I know that rides with heated gear uses their stuff. I didn't get any for this winter. Planning on picking some up in the spring once it goes on sale. My local dealer usually marks it down 30%.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Electrically warmed gear is for complete wussies!

..i might have to get something like that one of these days. :biggrin:

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
twop.... Whoohoo! I have been saying this all year but it mostly gets ignored by the cruiser guys. Heated gear is the best accessory you will ever own. We both have Gerbins gear... and some WarmnSafe. Both are excellent.
Heatedclothingoutlet sell Gerbins seconds for about 60% off. Also the Warmnsafe site has a seconds tab at the bottom of motorcycle dorp down menu. Great prices also.
For less than the average chrome do-dad you can get a heated jacket liner and gloves and never be cold again.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Heated gear is truly amazing...its why temperature is not a factor that keeps me off the bike (just snow or ice). Enjoy it!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my heated gear, especially the gloves. Your hands are hanging out there on the controls and there's not much you can do when they get real cold.

My wife was suffering this fall on cool days. She tried wearing several pairs of gloves, but pretty soon the loss of motor control became an issue. She doesn't ride during the winter, but I picked her up some gloves for those cool spring and fall mornings, just to be safe.

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am curious though, I only had it turned up to 30%
they must use these for snow mobiles!

if I turned it up any more, I would have been a pop tart!

·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
twop.... Whoohoo! I have been saying this all year but it mostly gets ignored by the cruiser guys. Heated gear is the best accessory you will ever own. We both have Gerbins gear... and some WarmnSafe. Both are excellent.
Heatedclothingoutlet sell Gerbins seconds for about 60% off. Also the Warmnsafe site has a seconds tab at the bottom of motorcycle dorp down menu. Great prices also.
For less than the average chrome do-dad you can get a heated jacket liner and gloves and never be cold again.

Geez! how cold can it get in Arizona!!??:eek:

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
To arizonians, 60 degrees is freezing. :lol:

·
Winter Warrior
132 Posts
I purchased the Gerbing gloves, couldn't afford them and the jacket and didn't already have a decent pair of winter gloves. It was 27 degrees last night on the right home, and I had em cranked all the way up. God I love em!

·
Registered
86 Posts
27 is def cold if you had nothing. I dont go out below 42 F since i only wear a light coat and or sweatshirt and full face and gloves...

Wind chill was -5 here yesterday! I keep telling myself March is coming, March is coming...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Heated gloves rock. The only thing that got cold on me is my fingers. Not anymore. Of course, right after I wired my bike it snowed and I've only ridden 4 or 5 times, but it sure was a nice ride.

If you're going to ride in the cold, get the gloves at least.

·
Registered
269 Posts
they are great, I had a pair of gloves that I'd had for 2 years and the left glove stopped working. I took it into the dealer where I bought it, Morton's BMW BTW, and they tested them. They confirmed the left was not working and sent them back to Gerbing. A couple weeks passed and Gerbing notified them to replace them. I was even offered use of a loaner set, but I declined since it wasn't that cold yet.

I was glad to know they stand behind their warrenty on them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
how may hours of use? versus failures? more good luck than bad?

I have been sceptical too long, but curious....

I know 3 guys that work at different Harley dealers, all are afraid to take trips because they have seen high failure rates of electrical clothing, & prefer to dress warm instead of relying on electric clothing.

also how about amperage draws? I know my old shovel had an 18 amp alternator & never wanted to risk overloading it, not sure what my 96 GPZ 1100 has.

I have rode when it was -7 F with only a 1/2 helmet with a snap on face shield. but old age is catching up to me..... I dont want to even think of below 20 degrees without several layers of clothing. & been thinking of electrical.......

Randy

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
My stuff is Tourmaster...plug in. I've made it through one winter (with a 200 mile/day commute)...and am going through this winter with the stuff. No failures...don't expect any either.

Amperage? Gloves pull 35W max, I believe the vest is 75W max. P=IV => (35+75)/12 = 9.2 amps

·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe most of your alternators will be running 14V.
which will make a difference in your figuring . . .

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I believe most of your alternators will be running 14V.
which will make a difference in your figuring . . .
Should still be a 12V system. Car alternators charge at a 14V level too...but all the systems run off 12V.

Never measured any voltage away from the battery though :confused:

In any case, it'll lower the amperage...erring on the safe side ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts