Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys probably get a ton of these threads, but oh well...

I am getting my first bike soon, im 16, but im not going to get it until i am 17 or 18. I am looking at a ninja zx-6r. just wondering if this is a good choice, i am going to get it used for sure. ive never ridden before but i think i could pick it up pretty quick because i usually can pick new things like this up pretty quick. my question is, is this a good choice, and what are some things i should learn about to better understand this bike (i.e. mechanics, maintenance, or just tips you have)

any help is appreciated
thanks
nate

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Start out with a Ninja 250/500 and graduate to the zx-6r. Lots of part available in case you crash - look on line and go figure why there are so many more parts from these bikes on line.

I would say because they get crashed alot.

If not start out with an 80's bike Honda Interceptor 500 or Ninja600r Plenty of power - not as much as the zx-6r, but trust me you'll live longer without it until you have more experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have a link to where i can find a interceptor 500 or a ninja 600r? i can only find the new interceptors that are 781cc.

also, what are some of the main parts that i should get to be familliar with? not just incase i crash, but just general knowledge.

thanks
nate

EDIT: nevermind about the link, i found some.... interceptor isnt too bad, i know i know, shouldnt be picky with my first bike, but im not that fond

·
Registered
429 Posts
Agreed....500R will be plenty for the first bike. Give it a few mods once you are done learning and it will seem like a completely new bike all over again. ZX-6r can get you into trouble fast especially if you have never ridden. I used to ride dirtbikes all the time when i was younger and still went with a 500R and im 20. I probably wont upgrade for at least 2 more years. A 500R completely stock can beat any car on the street just to give you an idea of what you would get.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yea...definately check the insurance. I pay just under 300 a year for liability on my 500R....full coverage on that would be $1,028 a year. If you get a 636, you will want full coverage just for the fact it costs 8 G's...almost double a 500R. Insurance wont be cheap on a 636 for someone young.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone for all your help... i dont think i am going to go with a zx-6r now... 500r is more reasonable now because more people ride them than i thought.

also, does anyone have any links to any good informative websites or good websites for parts/upgrades?

thanks again everyone
nate

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
STARTERS

IF you really want to learn the bike and understand what it is all about get a decent used dirt bike. Ride it off road in all the spare time and especially in every climate that you can. Rain, mud....off cambered hillsides...and try to do most of the maintenance yourself. You will learn not only about how to maintain a bike but how to control it. Sliding sideways on a hill and controlling it is much like a wet curve on the road and finding out that some car has crossed over into your side of the lane on a blind corner. How to lean, especially how to use and how important the front brake is on a motorcycle. I'm big on front brake usage. The rear brake has it's merits, but it isn't as useful as the front brake on a road bike, for recreational riding. When you get to the point where you are racing the rear brake will lower the chassis setting up/loading the suspension, and should you learn early enoug in off road riding in case the front wheel comes up and wants to KEEP coming up the rear brake is a major control, next to the throttle. Dirt bikes are definately worth every bit of sweat that you put into them. Powering through mud, water, braking through the same...when you get your streetbike you will be online telling the noobies on the forum the same thing. Dirt bikes are made for severe use, and they are much cheaper to learn on and safer than the street to learn on. You can also let your insurance company know that you have been riding...and what your skill levels are. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation Classes are worth going through, as they teach you things about road bikes, like not being seen, how to avoid certain situations.....Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks man, i would love to get a dirtbike to learn on... but i live in an area where there isnt any where to ride it off road. does anyone know a website that has a dictionary of all of the motorcycle terms?

thanks everyone
nate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts