Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
First off, I am a newbee...so let me just say hi :) I have some questions that I was looking to get answers for, and if some of you can help me, that would be great! Ok, I am finally going to get my dream bike, a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R....but I have a few questions that maybe those of you who own a ZX-10R or anyone who knows a little about them could answer. First off...yes, I am a chick :p But, that doesn't mean I can't ride :wink: Yes, I am new to sport bikes...but I am also willing to learn. I used to ride dirt bikes a few years back....but now, I want to ride a crotch rocket. Now, for my questions :grin: ....1.) I am 5'4", do you think the seat height of the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R is too high for a person of my height? The seat measures 32.2 inches off the ground. What do you think? 2.) For those of you who own a Ninja, could you give me an idea of what the maximum speed is? 3.) What color are the gages when they light up? Those are my questionsfor now :p , if anyone can help me out...it will be greatly appriciated! Thanks a lot for reading!

- Mel

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Welcome!!!
Check out the "ladies" forum.
Also do a search "ZX-10R" and you might get some additional information.
Good luck on your first street bike!!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Well first off th 10R is great bike. In fact I'm planning on getting one in the future. I'd like to see it with an undertail exhaust though. As far as the seat you should be fine. As far as speed though... thats another opinion. I'm ussually not the first one on this forum to tell someone not to get a bike they want, as others can attest too :p. The 10R is a power house. I personaly would tell someone new to sports bikes to stay away from it. You really don't need the 160+ bHp. I have a ZX-9R right now and it can get toa bout 180mph and do 0-60 in about 3.5 seconds or so. It has a 10.11 quarter mile time fromt he stats I've seen (I can't do that quick yet :p) Anyway, my point is that this bike is a lot of power even for me and I've been riding sports bikes for a while. The 10R is newer than my bike plus its bigger. I would tell you to look at the new 05 ZX-6R or RR. Those are SWEET bikes especially with the undertail exhaust and you would probably feel more comforatable witht he seat. Don't take just my word for it though. Go to a dealer and check them both out. Ask questions. Find out which would be best for you. I've done a lot of reading on the 10R... I've never ridden one but just reading about the power it puts out scares me. I also think you'd like the manuverability of the 600s better too. The 10 is VERY manuverable for a liter bike but its still a liter bike. From the reviews the best way to take corners with it was to go deep into them almost stop turn and hold on for your life as you power out of it. I think most of the others ont he forum here would share my opinion on this. And for once I would agree with them. This is based on the info you gave me about your riding experiance though. Sport bikes are MUCH different than dirt bikes.

P.S. My ZX-9R has about 135HP with the mods on it right now. It has 130HP from the factory.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Although I think the 10R is a great bike... its also one of the fastest vehicles in the world. It would probably serve you much better to start on a 500R, or a older zx-6r or zzr600.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info!

Hey there! Thanks for the info...that helped me out :) I am gonna visit my local dealer here soon, so I will see if the ZX-10R fits me and is comfortable for my height. And I know that these bikes are much different from the dirt bikes I used to have :grin: They are WAY different, LOL. But, I am willing to learn, and I would really like the ZX-10R to be my first bad boy. I know its powerful, but I think that I can handle it and do well in the future since I started out on a pretty powerful bike. There is just something about it, and it is my total dream bike! I love everything about it! The first time I saw it I was like...THATS THE ONE! :grin: It would be an honor to have it as my first bike. Thanks again for the input, and I will see how it fits me when I head up to the Kawasaki shop. Peace!

- Mel

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Pleaseeee get some formal training before you hop onto any bike. www.msf-usa.org has a good basic course that will give you an understanding of handling a sportbike. It is a completely different world from dirt.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The biggest dirt bike I've seen is a 500cc. I doubt you had one cause the seat would be way to high for you. Most likely you had a 250 or smaller. I know for someone jumping on one that seems like a lot of power but we are talk 5 times the power or more when you put the 10R to pavement. I'm not joking around when I say that it wouldn't be a very good bike to start off in sport bikes. The 10R is not only a litler bike but it is the MOST powerful liter bike for 2004 and prolly for 2005 too. I know it looks great but in all reality you won't need that power. I ride a 9R because the bike fits my size. I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. I wouldn't be very comfortable on a 600. I just hope you make a responsable desition. Look at me... 21 years old and talking about being responsable?

Every single person I ride with normaly has a 600cc sport bike. And they have all been at it longer than me. They go with the 600s because they have more agility to make up for the power. Trust me. When it comes to the twisties I know I can be left in the dust. You'll learn the skills you need on a 600 MUCH easyer than a 1000. Even the new 600s are unforgiving but the ZX-10R will bite hard if you make one little mistake. Trust me, we all make mistakes starting off on the streets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NinjaChick said:
Hey there! Thanks for the info...that helped me out :) I am gonna visit my local dealer here soon, so I will see if the ZX-10R fits me and is comfortable for my height. And I know that these bikes are much different from the dirt bikes I used to have :grin: They are WAY different, LOL. But, I am willing to learn, and I would really like the ZX-10R to be my first bad boy. I know its powerful, but I think that I can handle it and do well in the future since I started out on a pretty powerful bike. There is just something about it, and it is my total dream bike! I love everything about it! The first time I saw it I was like...THATS THE ONE! :grin: It would be an honor to have it as my first bike. Thanks again for the input, and I will see how it fits me when I head up to the Kawasaki shop. Peace!

- Mel
Not to be a cynic here, but the 10R is not a bike to start out on. I understand that it is your dream bike, but most beginners drop their first bike once or twice. Do you want to drop a $10,000 dream bike? I sure wouldn't.

I would recommend that you start out on a Ninja 500R or smaller bike, definately not a 10R. For one, it is way too powerful. Two, it is a relatively heavy and large bike. At a height of 5'4" (and probably light weight) you will have a hard time controlling this bike.

Would you rather go fast on a "slower" bike or go slow on a "faster" bike?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Top speed is 186 pre set by Kawasaki as are the other large bikes from Japan.

About 105 in first gear when the shift light pops on. 125 2nd 145 third and 165 for the shift light in 4th

I love mine but would hardley recomend it for a first time street rider.

The tack is very hard to read the speedo is digital and I LOVE the clock for my 1 hour lunch rides.

·
Registered
100 Posts
:shock:

Please please please do me a favor. Most people would try to disuade you from even purchasing a 600cc sport bike as your first bike, yet alone a liter bike. I understand that you have a dream, but step back for a minute and give yourself a reality check.

Before you go to a dealership, take a street MSF course, where they'll teach you some good street skills (that you are going to need if you hope to survive a liter bike) and give you some experience on a 250cc bike.

Then, go out and find one of your friends that has a 600cc sport bike and take it out a couple of times. Give yourself a frame of reference other than stats in a magazine. I'd put my money on you cranking the throttle and deciding a 600 is more than you need anytime soon.

If you purchase a liter bike, one of two things will happen, and this isn't a challenge.

1. You will manage to keep the power under control, and your friends on 600s (and probably 500s for that matter) will blow you away in anything other than a straight line as their skills develop and yours don't.

2. You won't keep the power under control (either intentionally or accidentally) and you will crash, destroy your bike, and probably die.

I don't mean to preach, but please at least humor me and try a 600cc SPORT bike before you decide you really need a liter. I'm coming at you with this as someone who is buying a 05 zzr600 as their first street bike. This is after ridding my friends GSX-R600 around quite a bit, and let me tell, it's scrary fast. There's NO WAY I would start on a liter bike. Just consider it, OK?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've heard the 10R is quite light at the front, so has a tendancy to want to come off the floor with all the power and it doesn't have a steering damper. I've also heard it's only any good in the hands of a skilled rider.

I'll be honest: the first time I rode my 600 it scared me and I doubted my choice of bike.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm with Yagiska and Akapler.
10R is too much engine to learn on. An EX500 will smoke every Harley and every Corvette you see on your commute today, but will be a more fun bike to learn on. The classic excuses are "they only go as fast as you twist the throttle" or "I'm more grown-up/talented/brilliant than the average rider", but a milder engine is both safer and MUCH more fun to learn on.
Anyone who thinks it's acceptable to recommend a ZX10R to a new rider is either being irresponsible or malicious.
If you're lucky, you will only damage the bike. If you're not...

Ninjachick before:

Ninjachick after:

Sorry to be a wet towel but with sportbikes, sometimes the penalty for impatience is death.
Peace. And good luck Ninjachick.
-Calamari Chris in Carlsbad, CA

·
Registered
158 Posts
NinjaChick,

Heed the warnings of everyone here. Do not start on this bike as your first sportbike. I can speak from experience as I own one. This bike is a handful if you're not smooth with any of your inputs to it. Not to be harsh but from your question asking what the top end of the bike is....you need to mature a little bit more. I have not even come close to getting to the top end of this bike. It's not safe to do so anywhere in the area I ride. But if you must know, it's around 186 MPH based on from what others have said. Some say there is no built in governor some say there is. The common consensus is that the speedometer on the bike gets wildly inaccurate as you get deep into the triple digits in speed; hence why a bunch of people get speedohealers. Why the bike is wheelie prone is the following: mix a bike with 150ish HP at the rear wheel, a 54.5" wheelbase (note it's even slighty smaller than the ZX-6's wheelbase), plus a wet weight of around 425 lbs, and you get instant power wheelie through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. First gear is extremely tall for a street bike. 103 MPH in first is not a myth. But because first gear is so tall, you risk over goosing the throttle to get going. With your height, you'll be barely able to flat foot at a stop. Bad combo...as you'll have plenty to worry about trying to get comfortable with just riding. This is the only liter bike out that doesn't include a steering damper. Because the front end has a tendancy to go airborne, you'll be introduced to the world of headshakes and if extreme enough tank slappers. In my riding, I haven't even touched redline on the engine nor have I even hit above 10k RPMs except once. No need to. Just a lot of power everywhere.

Don't be a hero and attempt to prove everyone wrong that you'll be the exception to the rule. The 10R does not like to be dropped....things break very easily on this bike....take that into account if you end up dropping it.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Just to toss in my 1/2 cent. I've only been riding for about 2 months now. When I first got my Ninja 500R, I thought IT had too much power for me. The 500R is no slouch when it comes to power, esp in the twisties. think about getting one of them to learn on. I"ve noticed my skills already improving, but there is no way I would get a liter bike for a starter...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To Everyone who replied....

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all the replies! To be honest, you all arent the first to tell me that a ZX-10R isn't a good bike to start out on. Now, I am starting to believe it. I am not a small girl, I am 5'4", but I do weigh 168 pounds. I do a lot of strenght training and I do have a lot of muscle. I am not petite is all I am saying, and for my height, I am very strong. The thing is...I have had my heart set on a Ninja ZX-10R for quite a while. And now its like, no other bikes appeal to me. I don't know if this has ever happened to any of you, but...thats how it kinda feels to me. The only other bike I would consider in the Kawasaki family would be a Ninja ZX-6R, though I really dont like how it looks as much as I like the ZX-10R. I do have a friend who owns a Yamaha YZF R6, and it is REALLY fast. And I know that a ZX-10R probably has more power than the Yamaha R6, and I was blown away by just seeing the R6 take off. So, this makes me think. I like what akappler said...Would you rather go fast on a "slower" bike or go slow on a "faster" bike? That statement is very true. If I own a fast bike like the 10R, I would most likley go slower because I would probably be afraid of the power it has and so I would be very cautious all the time around corners and twisties escpecially because of the power. On a ZX-6R for example, I would probably be able to go faster because I will be able to menuver better and be more comfotable on it for my first bike, and not be so tense while riding. I don't want to kill myself here guys, I just had my heart set on that Ninja ZX-10R. But, my life matters more than how powerful of a bike I have at first. So, what would you guys think....do you think I can handle a Ninja ZX-6R? Do you think it would be a better bike for me to learn on? I know there is a ZX-6RR, but I would perfer the ZX-6R if I do go to around 600cc. Let me know what you all think on this. My friend with the Yamaha R6 told me the same, start out with a 600, and then when you get comfortable with that, then trade it in and move up to a more powerful bike IF you feel you are ready. Do you think this would be a good idea? Again, thankyou all for you advice and opinions, I hope to hear some more opinions soon. Thanks again!

- Mel

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I think you're on the right track. Most of the people here would say that even a 600 is too fast. That sounds silly cause they are recomending a 500 and how can that be that much slower? Well, they don't put as much R&D (research and development) into the 500 or lower. Thus, the 600s on up even look way different. When I was looking at getting my first bike I saw the 500s and though, man, that is an ugly bike. So I ended up getting an older 750. It had plenty of power to get me around and learn on. I'll tell you this that even the new 600s are going to be pretty fast.

Here is what I would tell any of my friends to do for their first bike. Get and older one. Atleast 3 years old. First of all you'll save money, since you have your heart set on the 10R you can keep some cash saved up for it. Second, you won't want to kill yourself when you drop it, and trust me, they aren't lieing when they say EVERYONE drops their first bike. No matter if its just something stupid like forgetting the kick stand or actually going down riding around. Third you'll have a bike that you won't be as afraid to use the gas so you can learn how to ride a bit better than a new one that can be very touchy. Your first bike doesn't have to be pretty, but it doesn't have to be POS either. Shop around in the news paper, on ebay, or cycletrader.com. I kept my old bike because I didn't need to trade it in to get my new one. So now I have a spare to lend to a friend to go for rides with.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Ditto on what green knight said.

The older 600's don't put out the kind of power a new 600 does. 10 years ago 110HP out of a 1000cc bike was very common, and now the 600cc bikes put a 100hp out and weight less than 400lbs wet.

The reason 500s and 250s are recommended is because you can get them very cheap. $1000-1300 for a used 250, and 1500-3000 for a used 500. Thats in good condition. If you drop them you aren't gonna hurt as much. Insurance is cheaper and once you get several thousand miles under you (at least) you can start to move up the ladder.

The new ZX-10R has been described as the most unforgiving sportbike ever designed. Not something a new rider should even consider (reguardless of your heart's desire).

The less power the bikes have the more forgiving they usually are. If you make mistakes on a 250/500 or an older 600 ( 10+yrs ) it isn't going to be nearly as bad as if you make a mistake on a newer 600 or above.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Your friend is very smart to try to talk you into something smaller then the 10R. A Sport bike is like nothing you have ever ridden before. I started riding dirt bikes at 12. Got my first street bike at 15. Have had cruisers and dual sports for most of my life. I’m 45 right now by the way, so you can say I have ridden for a while. This summer I bought my first sport bike, an EX500. And I can tell you it is not like any dirt bike you have ever ridden. This bike has a third of the horsepower as the 10 but can still smoke most any car or non-sport bike out there. And believe me, it was an eye opening experience to learn to ride it correctly. Emphasis on the word correctly. As you said the power of the 10 might scare you, you will never to learn to ride it correctly if you are afraid of it. Respect it yes, be afraid of it, never. That can get you killed. But learning to ride a sport bike is a blast! Wish I had bought one earlier but am VERY glad I did not start out on a big one, even with years of street experience I would not attempt a 10R as a first sport bike, much less a first street bike.

But all that aside, Welcome to the forum! Let us know what you get and keep us posted on how it goes!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hi Mel and welcome.

As far as seat height goes you can do a couple of things to help you reach the ground.

1. Use lower profile tires.
2. Customize the dogbones which will lower your ride height.
3. There should be some adjustment in the rear shock that the dealer can
help you with and set up as well.
4. Custom rear spring to lower height of the spring.

As far as the bike goes - I would pass on the ZX10 as it is ****a scary in anyones hands.

The new middleweights have as much power as yesterdays 900/1000cc bike and weigh about 100 pounds less. I'm not sure what your reasoning is for wanting the ZX10, but I would dissuade you and look more to a used bike to get you going or to a smaller bike and move on to the ZX10 later.

Buying a bike is a personal choice and a lot of it depends on the gray matter between your ears and how the rest of your body functions with the gray matter. If you are a safe driver you tend to be a safe rider.

Do you see yourself wanting to do trackdays or racing in the future?

Will you be riding in rural or metropolitan areas?

If your ultimate goal is to ride the ZX10r - what is an acceptable learning period to you and do you care if its a new bike or used bike?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts