Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 kawasaki Ninja zx750R and it had been sitting up for a while before i got it. i did a fresh oil change and noticed the oil was really thin and i could strongly smell gas in the oil. I put the fresh 10w40 and new oil filter and ran the bike for few minutes and checked the condition of the oil, and sure enough it had alot of gas in it? Also it smoked a lil because of the gas.....now i see gas leaking badly out of the exhaust and pouring from 2 of the carbs........what cause this problem i am having? Thanks in advance. SEAN LUCAS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay I cleaned out all of the carbs really good, I put them back on the bike and now only #'s 3 & 4 were pouring gas out of the over flow hose and out of the 2 little holes on the air filter side. what do i need to do? how do I adjust the float levels and were should they be? also should my needles be replaced?...any help would be helpful...thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
your float needles are stuck. I have a 94 ZX7, it had the same problem. After replacing the float needles, and making sure they moved freely, there was no problems.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Don't adjust your floats until you trouble shoot the float needles. Either soak the needles in cleaner or replace them - about $20.00 for 4 on ebay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a thought but if the tank has a "prime" position it will constantly pour gas into the motor if left in this position. Make sure you set it for on or Reserve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wonder about the increased chances of blow-by if it had enough gas sitting in the cylinders to cause that. With no lube on startup thanks to gasoline and gravity, I assume you'd get some massive wear for enough revolutions to tear up things.

Can't see how the oil could get bad that quickly unless the rings were going.

(Just a note - I don't profess to know a damned thing...curious about above.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts