Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the question as to how you can get rid of the newness (the slickness) of a new tire, i usually peel off that slickness by break-torqueing the rear tire in oil being sure to lean for outer portions to loose that slickness as well. just don't hit that dry spot or you will be sorry.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah. very serious. it's the same principal as when you see dragsters during warm-up. though they are really warming up the tires for grip, you will get much better grip if the tires are a little worn. you can always use goo off, but i find this a little easier. by the way, i work for a tire store. i'm just saying to do this one time when you get a new tire. later. FULLTILT

·
Registered
169 Posts
it is true.... new tires dont have traction as much as ones with some miles on them... only because the coating new tires have...

·
Registered
512 Posts
i broke mine in by just riding a 100 miles. easy enough to me :wink:

plus then u dont have the stress and strain on your bike with what your doing by brake torqueing

·
Registered
512 Posts
also on another note, how r u going to break the front in doing that?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
valid, the front will be with the newness, yet, as you should concede, your rear tire is going to get you out of the harriest mishaps by using throttle control. i'm merely saying, this can make a difference between a new tire and laying in the middle of the road. also, 100 miles is not going to wear your tire in. hope your doing well black 500r

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ah ok not sure how/where your riding but a 100miles will do more than enough good grip wise for new tires. you just have to take it easy and lean over SLOWLY till your to the edge (if you ride to the edge) ask any MOTORCYCLE TIRE manufacture and they will tell you the same thing. **** ive taken new tires out on a trackday and had them scrubbed in by the end of my 20min session. doing the burnout as you state doesnt do anything but take lots of miles off the tire. i guess "to each his own".

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a coat of silicon on new tires. Ride about 50 miles on them just make sure you take it easy on the turns(don't gas it) and make sure its dry. I don't know for sure but I heard that burning the silicon is not good. DO NOT use any cleaning chemicals on your tires. Bike tires are not like car tires. I learned the hard way. Look at the wear on my tire after 30 miles.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Hehe, like Odog said, bike tires are WAY different than car tires. Doing burn outs to get them worked in is not only bad on the tire but its bad on the bike. The best and safest way for you and the bike is to just take it easy for a 100 miles or so. Drag racers go through tires a lot faster than I do too. I prefer not replacing my tires especiely the back on every few hundred miles. Or my clutch a couple thousand later. But like Ken said, to each his own.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
A drag slick has a different chemical composition as well a softer rubber than a street tire has. It helps to make the tire tacky for maximum grip. That's why even used drag tires with some age on them but good tread still won't hook up as well as a new set. If you don't believe this, try holding a lighter close to drag slick and look at the oils/chemicals released and than try the same thing with your car/motorcycle tire. Street tires don't have the same composition, scrubbing off the newness by smoking the rear tire won't get the same type of effect as as a drag racer doing his burn out to warm up the tires, it's two completely different principles. I do agree it will take off alot of the silicon, but at what price to the tire and bike. Proper break in is just so much simpler. Did you do a nice smoky burn out to break in your new bike? If you wouldn't break in the bike that way, why try to rush breaking in the tires. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
439 Posts
why not just ride awhile, as God intended? 8)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
+5
just go easy so that you are not of those people on Sunday wiping out at speed cause they have new tires and don't understand what riding easy means!

Burn out????Why put a flatspot or uneven wear on your tire?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts