Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I will take deliver of a 2002 Mean Streak sometime this weekend :)

Since it is a used one, there is no owners manual, and while I will probably order one, I would like to start taking care of her the right way. So the first thing I would like to ask y'all is about the gas grade.

I understand that premium is recommended for the Mean Streak. Is this correct?

How about oil grades? Considering that 'winter' is upon us in Houston and I will probably take it for a change of fluids, what are your recommendations?

Thanks a bunch

Carlos
The JadeRider
-------------------
Psalm 27: 13

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Hi Carlos,

It's usually a good idea to follow the manufacturers recommendations. Since I do not have a Meany....I ride a classic 1500....I would suggest you go here http://www.kawasaki.com/index2.asp and type in your year and model and look at the specs on your bike. I believe you can download pdf's and print them out. Also...you may want to consider buying a Kawasaki manual so you'll have it for when you do your oil changes and routine maintenance.

Good luck with your new ride! :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thats right bud, get your paperwork together and do the prev/maint. on your bike with the dates and the mileage so you know for yourself where you stand so you know when to do your future maintenece. Congrats and good luck with your new toy!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Octane grade, age old question. Personal preference really, as there seem to be mixed opinions on the "requirement" of premium fuel outlined in the manual. Depends on your setup too. The guys at Sherms told me that others who have the same 800 setup as mine find their bike runs better on regular than on premium. Figure I'll split the difference and go with unleaded plus (89 octane here in Oregon).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Before you ride it home, I would recommend a full check of the oil, coolant, tires and all controls. Check the brake pads. Look for leaks underneath on the engine cases & also on the brake lines. Never, ever assume that anyone else has done this for you.
I am slightly biased, but you made a great choice!
Regards & great riding to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts