Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new saddlebag mount.

Ghost Brackets vs. Easy Brackets?

I was reading the websites, Ghost Brackets were criticizing Easy Brackets. I then saw a rebuttal from Easy Brackets, same deal.

Easy Brackets are 12 gauge, powder coated and Ghost Brackets are 10 gauge. They are pretty much the same price, but I am leaning toward the Easy Brackets because they seem to have a slight edge.

Any pros and cons from users of both would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought ghost brackets for my 900 custom with saddlemen saddlebags and love them I cannot give you any information about easy brackets but if I remember right I went with ghost brackets because I had read several places that ez brackets tended to sag over time because of the thinner gauge metal. I believe that ghost bracket tend to stick out just a little bit farther but nothing noticeable again I live my ghost brackets and would buy them again without hesitation.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Easy Brackets are thicker than Ghost Brackets and they are solid.

I went with the EZ Brackets and have no issues with them. Plus when I bought them I needed longer bolts due to having a sissy bar called them and they sent them free of charge.

Ghost Brackets wanted to charge you extra for a "kit" and it was like 25 or 30 bucks extra.

I would go with the EZ Brackets

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I have the Easy Brackets - very nice! All the hardware is very nice and the brackets themselves seem so strong - you will tear off your soft bags before those brackets would bend.

I also really like the locking mechanism. The catch seems super heavy duty.

Not knocking the Ghost Brackets - just letting you know that the Easy Brackets are nice.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
I bought both, ghost for the wife and easy for myself. Because the Easy are adjustable, the heads of the carriage bolts protrude a bit and if you are mounting a hard bag it can be an inconvenience. Other than that they both seem to be hoding up well. Oh yeah, first season my wifes bracket lost the lock assembly (tumbler) but ghost just sent out a new set of locks NQA, so you can't hold that against them.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have the Easy Brackets. I also had to call the company and get different bolts because of a sissy bar. No problem, the fellow I talked to said we will get them right out and in like 3 days I had them no charge. I like them alot. Have had several folks look at them at different bike shows and the like and most have said they look more solid than other system they had seen. I dont know as these are all I have used. High quality hardware in kit. Brackets seem really heavy gauge. I think I would rip the back of the bike off before breaking a mount.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Looking for a new saddlebag mount.

Ghost Brackets vs. Easy Brackets?

I was reading the websites, Ghost Brackets were criticizing Easy Brackets. I then saw a rebuttal from Easy Brackets, same deal.

Easy Brackets are 12 gauge, powder coated and Ghost Brackets are 10 gauge. They are pretty much the same price, but I am leaning toward the Easy Brackets because they seem to have a slight edge.

Any pros and cons from users of both would be appreciated.

Thanks
I have a set of Saddlemen Extra Jumbo Drifter bags, which are 24" wide, and I went with the Ghost Brackets because they're long and rectangular in shape, better weight bearing than the Easy Brackets, which are almost square in shape, too narrow for large bags. The Ghost Brackets are very well made--nice powder-coated heavy metal. Very easy install, and everything lined up perfectly. I love 'em.

windman

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't know anything about either of these brackets, but the link that Clarxhouse includes is for the Ghost Brackets home page, which makes the comparison meaningless. It's like going to the Pepsi website to see their comparison between Pepsi and Coke.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't know anything about either of these brackets, but the link that Clarxhouse includes is for the Ghost Brackets home page, which makes the comparison meaningless. It's like going to the Pepsi website to see their comparison between Pepsi and Coke.
True but everything that is stated I'm sure is also true.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Same set of ghost brackets on second bike. They are bullet proof, easy to install, and the lock mechanism works very smoothly.

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
EZ Brackets on mine. Ghost Brackets on my wife's.

The EZ Brackets are heavier and have a better locking mechanisim using a barrel key instead of a traditional flat key... less chance of a bent or broken key. Finishes on both have held up fine after 4 years. Find that it's much easier to index the bags on the EZ's... sometimes the Ghost brackets can be a real bear. Hardware on both is comparable.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
OK guess I should have said how big of a bag I mounted also. lol I have the River Road slant ex-large 21-1/2” W x 12” H x 9” D. I have had them loaded to the gills and my only problem has been the bag wanting to kind of sag towards the wheel. No mount brackets I have seen are or could be large enough to cover the entire inside of the bag. They would be either cost prohibitive or too dang heavy. So I took thin like 3/16 plywood and made "stiffiners" to go inside and outside to "sandwich" the bag so to speak to keep from sagging. Painted black to match bags and away we go.
I would have to agree on the comaparison deal on the manufactures site. I dont think either one of them is going to point out a positive for the competitor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My bags are 18" wide, 10" high and 8" depth and I have a sissybar. Easybrackets has a kit for with and without the backrest (same price). I'm sure Ghostbrackets has this also.

My thanks for all the input. I agree that going to both websites just cancels out the other. That is why I came here for some honest hands on experience and opinions and I got it.

Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Sounds like each is happy with what they have.

·
Organ Donor
219 Posts
Easy brackets sent me some wrong mounting hardware and never corrected it, despite claims they would immediately send me the right parts. You are supposed to get 2 short and 2 long mount lugs, but I got 3 short and 1 long. I now have it "corrected" with a few washers, but am not entirely amused. For that reason I don't think I would purchase from them again.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I've never used or seen the Ghost brackets, but I've had EZ brackets on 2 different bikes. They are well made and sturdy. I had the extra jumbo saddleman bags attached to them, they mounted up just fine and I could pack them with gear with no issues.

I can't see how these would sag over time as someone mentioned, they hardly even flex if you try to bend them by hand.

Someone else posted that Ghost brackets sent them a new lock, EZ bracket sent us one too, the center part of it came loose and was lost on the road. They was the only issue we had with them.

I do think they make your bags stick out too far, but the convenience of being able to pop them on and off is worth it. I hate the look of bags on my bike but they are a necessary evil if you spend multiple days on the road.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I want to hard mount my bags to the bike, a 1998 vulcan 1500 classic. Easy Brackets were 150.00 so I decided to try Gadgets cutting board method, found some nice black 14X17 boards and preceeded to cut to shape when I discovered that the rear brake caliper is right in the way and will not allow this board to be mounted flush against the bike. I would have to block it away from the fender almost 2" to clear the caliper, and I would think it would sag in to the wheel hanging that far out.
So I am looking at Easy Brackets again and wondering if they kick out far enough to miss the caliper, I have read everything I could find relating to this on this forum but have not found a satisfactory answer. The bags were thrown over the fender last season for three months and got pretty scuffed up from the caliper.
[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts